[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Help with windows

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (01/22/91)

I need some ideas as to how to approach an interesting problem (which may or
may not have an easy solution).  I have a window which I open onto a custom
screen.  This window is then completely covered by an image (Window flags
BORDERLESS | WINDOWDRAG | ACTIVATE)  This is a small window BTW.  Anyway,
Everything's peachy until the window becomes inactive...then the drag bar,
which was invisible until now, appears and destroys the upper portion of the
image (generally making a mess).  Now, is there any way to disable the "mask"
effect on the drag bar without disabling the window dragging option? [and the
subsequent refresh of the drag bar which destroys more].  If anyone knows of a
way...or can confirm that I'm going to have to do this the hard way, please
post or email me.  Thanks in advance.

                             LaMonte Koop
 Internet: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com         ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
           UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
  A scientist is one who finds interest in the kinetic energy of Jell-O
   moving at ridiculous velocities...an engineer is one who can find a
               real-life application for such silliness.

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (01/23/91)

In article <7126@crash.cts.com> lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:
>I need some ideas as to how to approach an interesting problem (which may or
>may not have an easy solution).  I have a window which I open onto a custom
>screen.  This window is then completely covered by an image (Window flags
>BORDERLESS | WINDOWDRAG | ACTIVATE)  This is a small window BTW.  Anyway,
>Everything's peachy until the window becomes inactive...then the drag bar,
>which was invisible until now, appears and destroys the upper portion of the
>image (generally making a mess).  Now, is there any way to disable the "mask"
>effect on the drag bar without disabling the window dragging option? [and the
>subsequent refresh of the drag bar which destroys more].  If anyone knows of a
>way...or can confirm that I'm going to have to do this the hard way, please
>post or email me.  Thanks in advance.

I think if you make it a GIMMEZEROZERO window (as outlined in the 1.3 ROM
Kernal Manual), it will make these gadgets (drag bar,etc) on a different
layer, keeping them from messing up your bitmap.  Apparently this gobbles
a little more CPU time when you move it around, but I believe it will
achieve what you are looking for....

Michael Maston
GTE Government Systems
Mt. View, CA  94039

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.025455.27163@portia.Stanford.EDU> mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) writes:
>I think if you make it a GIMMEZEROZERO window (as outlined in the 1.3 ROM
>Kernal Manual), it will make these gadgets (drag bar,etc) on a different
>layer, keeping them from messing up your bitmap.

His window is BORDERLESS.  A borderless gimme-zero-zero window is silly.
Frivolous use of gimme-zero-zero windows is not recommended.  GZZ is
required for super-bitmap windows, and fairly few other uses.  User
clip-regions (see InstallClipRegion()) cover many of the other cases.

>Michael Maston

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

In article <1991Jan23.025455.27163@portia.Stanford.EDU> mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) writes:
> I think if you make it a GIMMEZEROZERO window (as outlined in the 1.3 ROM
> Kernal Manual), it will make these gadgets (drag bar,etc) on a different
> layer, keeping them from messing up your bitmap.

Yeh, but it'll still render them to the screen. I ran into this in Tracers,
and opted to leave the little window in the middle of the screen undraggable
rather than have it scribble on my display. There's a similar problem when you
try to use the screen's rastport instead of opening a window the size of the
screen and use the window's rastport, with the menu bar. I hope these are
fixable in 2.0 (haven't gotten that far into the new autodocs and now my 3000
is out of commission for lack of a keyboard).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.