[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] What Uses the ColdCapture vectors?

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (01/24/91)

would someone be so kind as to let me know what sort of a program
would set the ColdCapture vector? More specifically, is there any
known link (non-bootblock) virus which does so? If there is, could
you also point me to a program that would check for it? VirusX 4.01
reports a ColdCapture vector as being set, but KV does not do
anything other than reporting that all my files used is s:startup
scripts are virus free... I am booting off a hard drive, running an
A500 with 1 meg CHIP and 3.5 Megs of slow RAM achieved with an
ICD AdRam board.

thanks for your time, wherever you are... :-)

GOD BLESS AMERICA!  SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND OUR ALLIES!  FREE KUWAIT!

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (01/26/91)

In article <15952@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) writes:
> would someone be so kind as to let me know what sort of a program
> would set the ColdCapture vector? More specifically, is there any
> known link (non-bootblock) virus which does so? If there is, could
> you also point me to a program that would check for it? VirusX 4.01
> reports a ColdCapture vector as being set, but KV does not do
> anything other than reporting that all my files used is s:startup
> scripts are virus free... I am booting off a hard drive, running an
> A500 with 1 meg CHIP and 3.5 Megs of slow RAM achieved with an
> ICD AdRam board.

Well, I use VMK, which not only reports if the (cold|cool)capture vectors are
set (in fact it checks nearly ALL vectors a virus could use ... very handy), but
also tells you the address it's pointing to, and displays a dump of that
area of ram!! It's very handy ...

My BootMenu program uses coldcapture (to fix the 1mb chip ram bug in
ks1.2/1.3), and CBM's setpatch with the '-r' option does it as well
(for the same reason) ... it could be one of them, or of course it _could_
be a new virus that's clever enough to know to patch coldcapture to prevent
ram clearing on a 1mb chip machine (which breaks most oldver virii) ....

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |
| o                                                      o |
| o  co-sysop AmigaINFO BBS,1200/2400 baud CCITT,        o |
| o           24 hours a day, ph NZ +3-3371-531          o |

SteveX@omx.UUCP (Steve Tibbett) (01/27/91)

In article <15952@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>would someone be so kind as to let me know what sort of a program
>would set the ColdCapture vector? More specifically, is there any
>known link (non-bootblock) virus which does so? If there is, could
>you also point me to a program that would check for it? VirusX 4.01
>reports a ColdCapture vector as being set, but KV does not do
>anything other than reporting that all my files used is s:startup
>scripts are virus free...

SetPatch will set the CoolCapture vector.  If you're NOT using RAD:
then put "-c" on the VirusX command line.  If you ARE using RAD: then
put "-r" on, and maybe the requester will go away, maybe it won't
(It depends on where in memory SetPatch puts the vector).

--
   ...Steve Tibbett...bix=s.tibbett...Plink=STEVEX...BBS=613-731-3419...
              ...VirusX=4.01...Insert Disclaimer Here...