[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Public domain Amiga Transformer

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/25/91)

> dave@csis.dit.csiro.au writes:
>
> Why doesn't Commodore make "Amiga Transformer" freely distributable,
> or at least offer the source (free) under some non-disclosure
> agreement to some Amiga hobby programmers who can turn it into
> a useful binary-only freely-distributable piece of software?
> (maybe me)
>
> Dave Campbell

Here's a question you can ask yourself, Dave...
If you had the plans for a light-powered automobile and you were currently
selling pre-assembled versions of it for $1200.00 per unit, would you rent a
billboard and plaster the plans up for everyone to see?

I don't mean to be facious, Dave. I'm just trying to say that Commodore, like
all other companies in this free-enterprise system, is motivated (at some
point) by profit. I don't think they'll give away the Transformer code while
they still have BridgeBoards to sell.
:-)
-Ron Tarrant

dave@csis.dit.csiro.au (David Campbell) (01/25/91)

Why doesn't Commodore make "Amiga Transformer" freely distributable,
or at least offer the source (free) under some non-disclosure
agreement to some Amiga hobby programmers who can turn it into
a useful binary-only freely-distributable piece of software?
(maybe me)

Come on Commodore, don't just sit on the source!

[1]  As far as I know you can't buy it anymore.
[2]  Its slow and doesn't do graphics as it is.
[3]  Internally its completely position independant like a macintosh
     program, and its as ugly as the old dos.library.

Whats it written in?  BCPL???

Dave Campbell
dave@csis.dit.csiro.au

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.045117.22018@csis.dit.csiro.au> dave@csis.dit.csiro.au (David Campbell) writes:

>Why doesn't Commodore make "Amiga Transformer" freely distributable,
>or at least offer the source (free) under some non-disclosure

For some reason, this gets asked a lot;  Basically, it was done
by a 3rd party developer who owns it, and the source.

We can't give it out.

>Come on Commodore, don't just sit on the source!
>
>[1]  As far as I know you can't buy it anymore.
>[2]  Its slow and doesn't do graphics as it is.
>[3]  Internally its completely position independant like a macintosh
>     program, and its as ugly as the old dos.library.

>Whats it written in?  BCPL???

Its 100% assembler.

>Dave Campbell
>dave@csis.dit.csiro.au

Why not try and write your own ?  You may find it harder than yo think,
but yours may turn out quick, position dependent, and prettier than
the old dos library.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"God was able to create the world in only seven days because there
 was no installed base to consider."

In article <1991Jan25.045117.22018@csis.dit.csiro.au> dave@csis.dit.csiro.au (David Campbell) writes:

>Why doesn't Commodore make "Amiga Transformer" freely distributable,
>or at least offer the source (free) under some non-disclosure
>agreement to some Amiga hobby programmers who can turn it into
>a useful binary-only freely-distributable piece of software?
>Come on Commodore, don't just sit on the source!

Quite simple: Commodore doesn't have the source. It was made by some
other company and Commodore got the right to distribute it.