[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Where do the alias's go?

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/28/91)

I wrote a program today to improve my C programming. It goes over
the top of the shell, and passes any commands which it doesn't
understand to the shell.  However, the alias's defined in
the shell don't work.   As I only use 2.0, I was wondering
whether there is a way to fix this in 2.0.  Otherwise
I'll have to read in the shell-startup and handle them
myself or some other hack.

Expect to see the program on abdfd20 in about 2 weeks depending
on how work on my other major project goes.

BTW, What is a good way for testing if 2.0 is running?

Regards,
Colin Adams

In article <1991Jan28.092411.14899@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:
>I wrote a program today to improve my C programming. It goes over
>the top of the shell, and passes any commands which it doesn't
>understand to the shell.  However, the alias's defined in
>the shell don't work.   As I only use 2.0, I was wondering
>whether there is a way to fix this in 2.0.  Otherwise
>I'll have to read in the shell-startup and handle them
>myself or some other hack.

	This was fixed in a recent beta version of the OS (local variables
weren't being copied on Execute or System calls).

	To check versions, specify the version number of the library you
need when you open it (aka OpenLibrary("dos.library",36L).  Or you can
open it with version 0, and then examine the version number in the library
base.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

In article <1991Jan28.092411.14899@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:

>BTW, What is a good way for testing if 2.0 is running?

If you are in C, just do an OpenLibrary with version no. 36 and see
whether it fails. If you are in Shell, you can also use the CLI
version command on one of the disk resident libraries and check
the return.