[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Question about Menus

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (01/31/91)

What happens when an Intuition menu is longer than the screen
is high?  I only remember Deluxe Paint crashing way back in
the mists of time when that happened.  In particular, how
does Workbench 2.0 treat this situation.  I may have a
need/desire for immense menus, and would like to know if
(a) there is OS support, or (b) I can somehow program
something like the Mac-style scrolling menus.  That is,
when the menu approaches the bottom of the screen,  a little
arrow is shown; when the mouse is held over this arrow at
the low end of the menu, the menu items scroll up.
An equivalent is fine, of course.

Any knowledge?  Any ideas?  This beginning Amiga programmer
thanks you.

--
   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /
  //  / tcleland@ucsd.edu                  / to get forgiveness  /

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (02/01/91)

In article <16204@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>What happens when an Intuition menu is longer than the screen
>is high?

Starting with the 2.02 Kickstart release, Intuition protects the system
when menus exceed the screen's boundaries.  Rendering is clipped so the
system doesn't crash.

GadTools library has menu layout routines that will arrange your
menu items into multiple columns if you have too many to fit in one
column.  You could also do this yourself if you like.

Don't forget that you can't have more than 31 menus, 63 items per menu,
and 31 subitems per item.

If you have that many menu items, perhaps a different model is appropriate.
For example, a scrolling list of fonts has replaced the font menu
in most applications.  Even Apple doesn't recommend using their
scrolling menus, from a stylistic point.

>   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com