[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Non-Disclosure - Don't believe me? - READ THIS!

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (01/31/91)

[This came from comp.sys.amiga.misc]

Ethan, read this!

>I don't know why you are getting the requestor.

>In my startup-sequence I am prompted whether I want to run 2.0.
>If I say yes it zkicks the rom's and reboots.
                 ^^^^^
Strange, but I don't think that zkick has been released.

I pulled this post to "prove" that I am not just blowing smoke.

Zkick is not included in the A3000 distribution of AmigaDOS 2.0,
guess that is public knowledge :-)

>version >nil: graphics.library 36
>if warn
>else
> setamiga system-2.0

>setamiga is a nifty little program that loads the preferences from
>any configuration file.  I don't even get the regular screen up.

>john

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (02/01/91)

I have seen a program called ZKick on several pd bbs's.  Might not
be the same one you are thinking of, but the name is what counts in
a post.

Chris

bsyme@cs.strath.ac.uk (Brian J Syme IE88) (02/01/91)

Given the years that have elapsed since Commodore first released the early
alpha versions of 1.4 it seems almost inevitable that some of it is going to
leak into public availability (whether or not it's legal). Since 2.0 has been
around now for about a year with no signs of CBM releasing it to the non-3000
community (making the 2.0 code VERY publicly available, again if not legally)
any surprise about it's appearance where it shouldn't is almost breathtakingly
naive.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<> Brian Syme            <> Why make things difficult, when with just a     <>

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (02/01/91)

In article <11664@helios.TAMU.EDU>, cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
> I have seen a program called ZKick on several pd bbs's.  Might not
> be the same one you are thinking of, but the name is what counts in
> a post.
>
> Chris

Folks, I really did know the status of Zkick.  The question was not
whether Zkick itself (I know I highlighted it) is covered by non-disclosure
as I am sure most of you know.   It was a demonstration that the
discussions were going on about non-released software.  After all,
why would you need zkick if you were not a developer???

Anyway, I think I have beat the horse to death.  I believe my point
has been made.

Time to go back to our regular discussion about 'scheduling', and
'symetrical multiprocessing' :-) ;-)

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (02/02/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes) writes:
>[This came from comp.sys.amiga.misc]
>>I don't know why you are getting the requestor.
>
>>In my startup-sequence I am prompted whether I want to run 2.0.
>>If I say yes it zkicks the rom's and reboots.
>                 ^^^^^
>Strange, but I don't think that zkick has been released.

Sure it has.  ZKick is a public domain program written by Daniel Zenchelsky,
and has nothing to do with the non-disclosure agreement being discussed here.
It was written as a replacement for CBM's Kickit program, which was
troublesome for some configurations.

>I pulled this post to "prove" that I am not just blowing smoke.
>
>Zkick is not included in the A3000 distribution of AmigaDOS 2.0,
>guess that is public knowledge :-)

Correct.  But then again, as per the previous point this is moot.  I fully
agree with points made that the non-disclosure agreement should be respected,
but be sure you are using the proper examples.  ZKick can be had by
anyone...the problems come when they get a hold of beta AmigaOS 2.0x versions
to use with it while not being developers.

> +--------+   ==================================================
> | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
> | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
> |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
> +--------+   ==================================================

                             LaMonte Koop
 Internet: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com         ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
           UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
    When informed he exibited a reaction similar to pure Na with H2O.
                     Put simply, the man blew up.

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (02/04/91)

In article <575.27a7ea88@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>[This came from comp.sys.amiga.misc]
>
>Ethan, read this!
>
>>I don't know why you are getting the requestor.
>
>>In my startup-sequence I am prompted whether I want to run 2.0.
>>If I say yes it zkicks the rom's and reboots.
>                 ^^^^^
>Strange, but I don't think that zkick has been released.
>
>I pulled this post to "prove" that I am not just blowing smoke.
>
>Zkick is not included in the A3000 distribution of AmigaDOS 2.0,
>guess that is public knowledge :-)

No, but here in Aust, C= sent the developer disk with zkick to
some people as an update to Amiga 3000 owners.  They were told
to get the rom image off the disk.  Naturally now zkick
+ wb 2.0 is public for 2000 owners here in Townsville.  Everyone
with a machine that can handle it has it.

It isn't always the developers fault :-)