[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] How do I grab the workbench font for a new screen?

hollasch@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Steve Hollasch) (02/05/91)

    I'm writing an intuition program and would like to use an 80-column
font.  First of all, is there a ROM font for 80 columns?  I'm using an
Amiga 1000 with AmigaDOS 1.3.

    Failing that, is there some way I can grab the font used in the
current worksbench screen?

    Hmmm.  There's another question that's been bugging me, so I'll just
ask in this article.  I was wondering about how intuition handles
drag-selecting via the NextSelect field in the menu items.  Suppose the
user drag-selects several items.  While I'm processing one of the items
(which may take some time), the user drag-selects more items.  It seems
that the user could destroy the links in this way by overwriting the
NextSelect fields.  Is this true?  Should I do a MenuVerify when more than
one item is selected?

Steve Hollasch                /      Arizona State University (Tempe, Arizona)
hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu  /  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!noao!asuvax!enuxha!hollasch

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (02/05/91)

In article <9102041851.AA02002@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Steve Hollasch) writes:

>    I'm writing an intuition program and would like to use an 80-column
>font.  First of all, is there a ROM font for 80 columns?  I'm using an
>Amiga 1000 with AmigaDOS 1.3.

The 8-point Topaz font provides 80 columns on a 640-wide display.

>    Hmmm.  There's another question that's been bugging me, so I'll just
>ask in this article.  I was wondering about how intuition handles
>drag-selecting via the NextSelect field in the menu items.  Suppose the
>user drag-selects several items.  While I'm processing one of the items
>(which may take some time), the user drag-selects more items.  It seems
>that the user could destroy the links in this way by overwriting the
>NextSelect fields.  Is this true?  Should I do a MenuVerify when more than
>one item is selected?

Yes, NextSelect has this (and another) weakness.  And yes, you can successfully
use MENUVERIFY to protect your traversal of the list.  Depending how slow
you are at processing them, it would be better to pre-scan them, then
digest them.  Holding off menus for more than a fraction of a second using
MENUVERIFY is user-unfriendly.  Also, to break deadlocks, 2.0 Intuition will
bust your MENUVERIFY (pretending that the user picked no item) after
a short period of time (1/2 to 5 sec).

A worse problem occurs if the user, in one menu session, selects items
A, B, C, D, A, E.  You'll hear only about A and E.  2.0 ensures that
you hear about each menu item, though there's no way to preserve information
about which item was hit more than once, and there's some re-ordering
that's necessary.

>Steve Hollasch                /      Arizona State University (Tempe, Arizona)

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com