[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Severe Bug in Janus software concerning hard disks

In article <schilli.665666130@ss4> schilli@ss4 (Burkhard Schillinger) writes:

> had been running two hard disks in my Sidecar for quite a long
> time without any problems, each both with PC and Amiga partitions.
> Now, I found a bigger hard disk, 42 MB, which would give 65 MB when
> formatted with my RLL controller,

Perhaps already this is the problem. From day 1 we got reports about
difficulties when using an RLL disk. All these errors were not well
reproducible, and in ca. 50 % of the cases, also RLL works fine.
So there is no real idea until now what's really happening there.
We simply recommend to not use RLL drives :-).

> While the PC controller has no problems maintaining two different hd's,
> the janus software is buggy. The number of cylinders is being passed on
> correctly, but the software only reads the number of heads of
> the first partition on the first hd on the controller and assumes all
> further partitions to have the same number of heads.

Aha, this gives some more details. Perhaps someone of engineering can
take this as input to do a more direct search for the cause of all
this in the code.