[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] A bunch of questions...

rlawrence@halluc.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Lawrence) (02/01/91)

-> 1) I currently own a c64 with 1541 drive and 1702 monitor.  I was
-> wondering if it were possible to connect the 1702 to the 3000, in
-> addition to the
-> 1950 and thus have two screens to play with.  Could it be set up so
-> different applications run on different screens?

You can hook two monitors up, but you can't run independent applications
on them. The 1702 would require some additional hardware - a RGB adaptor
(available from CBM) which would give you composite out from the 15.75
Khz port that you could then hook up to the 1702. An identical,
deinterlaced image will be coming out of the 31.5Khz port into the 1950.

-> 2) What is the difference between chip ram and fast ram?

A classic question, one that everybody gets tired of answering. :-).
Chip RAM is that addressable by the custom chips in the Amiga -
processors that handle things like display lists and sound and graphics.
FAST ram is where NON graphics/sounds related data resides, ie, programs
and their normal data like variables. Programs CAN run in chip memory,
but it isn't desireable because of certain design limitations.
Basically, they go slower. The lessen is to have more than enough fast
mem to do the job you want.

-> 3) What are the hardware differences between the 3000/25-100 and the
-> 3000UX? I have heard that they are significant.  ie. you can't
-> upgrade a 3000/25-100
-> to run UNIX.

There are no differences, save for a little "UX" on the front of the box
and Unix pre-installed on the harddrive. I've converted enough 3000's
into 3000UXs to know.

-> 4) Finally, I have heard of a program that will allow me to run my
-> c64 stuff on the 3000.  Does this exist?  How well does it work?  Is
-> there a way to
-> run the 1541 into the 3000 so I can load the programs?

Yes, apparently pretty well, and yes. I think it's called The A64 Pack
and it's available in the public domain, but is a shareware product and
requires extra hardware (I think a 6502) and a connector of some sorts
for the drive, which is available from the author. It's available on my
BBS, The Hallucination 703-425-5824.

-Rich Lawrence, Sysop:Hallucination 703-425-5824 Amiga/Atari/Mac
(Systems Engineer, Commodore Federal Systems Group)
rlawrence@halluc.fidonet.org
CI$:71101,2272
Fido: 1:109/345

--
Richard Lawrence - via FidoNet node 1:109/345
UUCP: ...!uunet!halluc!rlawrence

jhensley@isis.cs.du.edu (John Hensley) (02/06/91)

In article <34.27A97F50@halluc.FIDONET.ORG> rlawrence@halluc.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Lawrence) writes:
>-> 4) Finally, I have heard of a program that will allow me to run my
>-> c64 stuff on the 3000.  Does this exist?  How well does it work?  Is
>-> there a way to
>-> run the 1541 into the 3000 so I can load the programs?
>
>Yes, apparently pretty well, and yes. I think it's called The A64 Pack
>and it's available in the public domain, but is a shareware product and
>requires extra hardware (I think a 6502) and a connector of some sorts
>for the drive, which is available from the author. It's available on my
>BBS, The Hallucination 703-425-5824.

It doesn't require the 6502. The only hardware you'll need is the adapter
for the 1541 (and some other 64 devices I can't remember now) if you
actually want to use any 64 stuff, as opposed to just playing with BASIC.

John