[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] reliably reading data from gameport 0

gksmith@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Gary Smith) (02/06/91)

Can any one tell me how I can stop the input device from reading
(I mean stealing) my events from gameport 0.  I have gameport 0 configured
for an absolute joystick and am currently taking the drastic step of
sending CMD_STOP to the input.device (this works - sort of). It's ugly as
hell and I also have a problem after starting up the input.device again.
It seems that when I select and move a window (with the left mouse button)
I can't deselect it - the window outline keeps moving around.  Similarly
if I press the right mouse button the empty menu bar is activate and does
not disappear when I let go of the right mouse button.  If I use the keyboard
instead of the mouse for moving the cursor and selecting the window/menu bar
I have no problems.

If anyone has any solutions or insights to the cause of this problems
I would greatly appreciate any information.  This has caused me endless
pain over the last few months.

Thanks again,
Gary.
gksmith@watrose.waterloo.edu

kodiak@amiga.UUCP (Robert R. Burns) (02/08/91)

Gary Smith) wrote in <1991Feb5.170245.15756@watdragon.waterloo.edu>:

) Can any one tell me how I can stop the input device from reading
) ... my events from gameport 0.  I have gameport 0 configured
) for an absolute joystick and am currently taking the drastic step of
) sending CMD_STOP to the input.device ...

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but to change what the input.device
thinks is the "mouse", send IND_SETMPORT to the input.device....

   IO REQUEST...
        io_Command      IND_SETMPORT
        io_Length       1
        io_Data         a pointer to a byte that is either 0 or 1,
                        indicating that mouse input should be obtained
                        from either the left or right controller port,
                        respectively.

If you set it to -1 it should stop reading from *either* port.

--
Bob Burns, amiga!kodiak                         _

In article <1991Feb5.170245.15756@watdragon.waterloo.edu> gksmith@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Gary Smith) writes:
> Can any one tell me how I can stop the input device from reading
> (I mean stealing) my events from gameport 0.

Send it an IND_SETMPORT to port 2 (i.e., a non-existent port).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.