[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Fun With AUX:

bombadil@diku.dk (Kristian Nielsen) (01/31/91)

Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>     OK, I got the RKMs for X-Mas this year, and one of the wonderful new
>discoveries I made was ROM-Wack. Seeing the potential usefulness of it, I
>borrowed a Volker-Craig VT3100 from the CS dept, and hooked it up to my
>A2000 according to the instructions in the RKM. I then invoked Debug off
>the 'bench and got - nothing. I tried various combos of dip switches and
>Preferences settings, and nothing ever worked. So I tried a Newcli AUX:,
>and I got the "New process" message and the CLI prompt on the monitor.
>Aha! However, any command I enter on the remote terminal is ignored.
>(The cursor just returns to the start of the line) Even stranger, once

Could it be that the terminal is sending the wrong code for the return key,
ie. 13? Try to end lines with CTRL-M and CTRL-J and configure the terminal
accordingly if that is possible.

>Newcli AUX: is attempted, ROM-Wack works!

Sounds like the use of AUX: configures the serial port registers of the
amiga and then these registers retain their values under ROM-Wack. As far as
I remember, ROM-Wack uses exec/calls like RAwPutChar() for IO, and these
rutines are pretty low-level, talking directly to the hardware (at least in
KickStart v1.2).

>So:    1) Why do I have to NewCli AUX: to get ROM-Wack to work?
>       2) Why won't the remote CLI process my commands?

>I'm using full duplex, 9600 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity on the
>terminal.

>Also: If I GURU the machine, how can do I find where the program that
>caused it is living?

The second 32-bit number in the guru (after the error number) is supposed to
hold the address of the task that caused the problems.

>Thanx in advance,

>  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at le College Militaire Royal de  St-Jean
>  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
>  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

	Kristian

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/09/91)

In article <43676@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>     ... the story so far...
>
>     I couldn't get ROM-WACK to operate without first typing NEWCLI AUX:
>NEWCLI AUX: would write the CLI prompt to my terminal, but refused to
>take any input from it as a command (although it did correctly send-and-
>receive characters from it. It is, after all, a full duplex terminal.)
ROM-WACK needs to have the amiga's serial port already set up for it.
It can't initialize the thing.  What I have done in the past is to
setup the serial port using Preferences (9600 baud, and whatever other
settings your terminal wants).  If you have or can get Grand-WACK, you
can arrange to have Grand-WACK replace the ROM-WACK vector in memory.
Grand-WACK makes the serial debugger thing actually useful; I'm not
good enough to get much useful information out of ROM-WACK.  Also, the
Debug option of the workbench's "hidden" menu only crashes my machine,
again, I am not good enought with ROM-WACK to be able to find anything
out that way, and I can't even return from ROM-WACK to the system.

> [Various silly suggestions for getting the CLI to work ... deleted]
Try hitting a ^J (Control-J) instead of [RETURN] at the end of your
commands.  I used to use a VT-52, and don't remember any problems with
entering commands to the CLI.  I don't know what your terminal sends
when you  hit return; I'm guessing it sends a carriage-return (^M);
the Amiga wants a line-feed (^J) at the end of command input.
ROM-WACK may well be less picky about it.

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------->  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
>  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
>  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

If you are getting characters on the screen, you've got the serial
cable and terminal hardware hooked up correctly; you don't need a
null-modem.  All you have now are software problems :)
Try fiddling around, use ^J to end input.  See if your terminal as a
set-up function, which may allow you  to change things (like what the
return key sends).

Good Luck ... this really does work (I used a VT52 as a debugging aid
for about a year; I recently moved and decided that the VT was too big
and heavy to carry around, so I disposed of it).

Wildstar

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (02/09/91)

I don't use the serial debug utilities but I have had a vt101, ADDS Viewpoint
3A+, and a macintosh plus (finally a good use for a mac :} ) hooked up.  I had
to set Prefs to some wierd settings (like 7 read bits and 8 write bits... not
sure as this was long ago, sorry), and my vt101 didn't work above 9600 bps.

Just make sure that all the settings match up (guess that's really obvious
huh).  I would type a command and would get back 'Command not found',
so it was getting something and it would send back real words, but it didn't
know what I was sending it.  Any way it took me a long to figure out.
--
Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu         (      College of Business Administration

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (02/09/91)

>>receive characters from it. It is, after all, a full duplex terminal.)
>ROM-WACK needs to have the amiga's serial port already set up for it.

I don't think so...if this were the case you could use any baud rate and
not just 9600....but RomWack DOES set up the serial port, hardcoded at
9600.

>It can't initialize the thing.  What I have done in the past is to
>setup the serial port using Preferences (9600 baud, and whatever other
>settings your terminal wants).  If you have or can get Grand-WACK, you
>can arrange to have Grand-WACK replace the ROM-WACK vector in memory.

This was completely unknown to me. What version of Grand Wack has this
ability, and how is it invoked?

-- Dan Babcock

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/12/91)

In article <91040.023037DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu> DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>[Grand-WACK which has the ability to replace the ROM-WACK vector]
>This was completely unknown to me. What version of Grand Wack has this
>ability, and how is it invoked?
>
>-- Dan Babcock

My copy of Grand-WACK came with the AmigaDOS v1.0 Native Developers
Kit from Commodore.  On the WACK disk.  If I remember correctly, the
command line is something like "run wack -r"; the switch was mentioned
in the documentation file on the same disk.  Since I have not been an
official developer since then, I don't know if or when it has ever
been updated.  For reference, this is the same native development kit
that came with a very early version of the Lattice C compiler, the
assembler, and a complete set of manuals.

Wildstar

beust@avahi.inria.fr (Cedric BEUST) (02/12/91)

In article <9682@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) writes:
> In article <43676@nigel.ee.udel.edu>
> Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:
> >         c) Is it necessary to use a NEWCLI AUX: to get ROM-WHACK to work
> > at all? I was under the impression that it would work right off a boot.

  Well, as far as I can remember, I could use romwack bu just calling it,
without messing with AUX: (anyway, it didn't exist at this time...). I used
another Amiga in VT100 emulation for terminal.

  Has anyone successfully used it from a boot? The RKM talk about pressing
the delete key during the boot but I guess they're pretty outdated by now?

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| ARPANET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                   $whoami               |
| UUCP: beust%arkonis@mimosa.unice.fr              god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |