[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] detecting keypreses under basic

person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) (02/13/91)

I'm working with someone who can only type with one finger.  I need a way to
make the shift key stick so that he can do shifted characters.
Can something like this be done under basic?

for the pc-people out there, I'm looking for an equivalent to 1-ifinger on
the pc for the Amiga.
Thanks
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

In article <8247@plains.NoDak.edu> person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) writes:

>I'm working with someone who can only type with one finger.  I need a way to
>make the shift key stick so that he can do shifted characters.
>Can something like this be done under basic?

Hmm, there are difficult (or dirty) ways to read the keyboard more
directly. But do you need *every* key? If not, you could declare
one of the funtion keys as a Shift-Lock (opposed to already existing
Caps-Lock). To reset the Shift-Lock status, you could use the same
function key by toggling, or just another funtion key (say F1 and F2).
You can read the function keys easily with INKEY$. You keep their
status in an own variable, then make a table of all keys with their
unshifted and shifted characters, and do a little conversion according
to the Shift-Lock status on your own.