[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Making scrolling screens.

bsj@ecl.psu.edu (02/11/91)

I;m sure this is relatively easy, but I do need to know. How do you program or
draw a screen bigger then the WB screen, like in Killing Game Show or any game
that scrolls?? Thanks for any help.
                                        -- Rick

aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb10.211642.636@ecl.psu.edu> bsj@ecl.psu.edu writes:
>I;m sure this is relatively easy, but I do need to know. How do you program or
>draw a screen bigger then the WB screen, like in Killing Game Show or any game
>that scrolls?? Thanks for any help.
>                                        -- Rick

I have written applications that use a bitmap that is larger than the size of
the screen.  It is actually very simple (I couldn't imagine it being much
simpler...)  The only way that I would attempt to do this (if I were to
imaging myself as having never done this before) would be to read the
Amiga ROM Kernal Reference Manual - Libraries and Devices.  This gives a
very complete description for scrolling a "superbitmap" screen as is done
in the "Killing Game Show" and in other applications.  The code required
to do this can also be found in the example "Box-O-Matic" that is supplied
with the Lattice C compiler.  (This, BTW, uses a much superior method of
refreshing the screen, IE MrgCop() and LoadView() vs. ScrollRaster()
or whatever that the RKM manual suggests...)  I found that ScrollRaster()
(I may have the name wrong, but note that I mean whatever the RKM suggests
to use for scrolling SuperBitMap screens) does not scroll the screen as
quickly as MrgCop() and LoadView() do... I am not sure why, but I would
guess that it is because of some waiting that this other routine is doing.
The RKM describes it as calling the routines (MrgCop et al.) anyway, so
they should be pretty much equivalent (anyone from Commodore want to explain
why this is, or explain why I am wrong?)

Oh well, the best thing (IMHO) is just to check Box-O-Matic and the RKM and
start coding away until it stops crashing and/or starts working...

Happy coding!  :-)

Later,
 Aaron Hightower