Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer
Subject: CCLib.library problems (REPOST - Please reply)

I have asked this question before, but I'd really like to get
some people to look into the following problem :

The cclib.library, posted as shareware, allows C programmers to
use the standard C library functions (printf, puts, fopen, seek, etc.)
as a shared amiga library. This is VERY useful if multiple tasks
need access, because it used to be the case that a duplication of
those functions were in memory all the time.
I found some SERIOUS problems with it, though. For example,
if a fopen() or fputs() fails, because of, for example, a disk
being full, the CCLIB DOES *NOT* check the internal Amiga error
return codes !! So even if you carefully check whether the write
succeeded or not, the error in cclib causes the machine to crash !
This problem makes people reject the library, which is a shame,
since the idea is really good. The problems can be duplicated
easily if you try to write to the following filename :
FOO:foo.foo. A standard requester will come up
"Insert volume FOO...". Click on CANCEL, and the machine crashes.
Why ?
If someone knows the whereabouts of the author, could he please let
me know ?
Thanks,

Peter Vlietstra
cmp8163@sys.uea.ac.uk <------- please use this reply address
University of East Anglia
Norwich
England.

srwmcln@windy.dsir.govt.nz (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.174940.11484@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) writes:
> The cclib.library, posted as shareware, allows C programmers to
> use the standard C library functions (printf, puts, fopen, seek, etc.)
> as a shared amiga library. This is VERY useful if multiple tasks
> need access, because it used to be the case that a duplication of
> those functions were in memory all the time.
>
> I found some SERIOUS problems with it, though. For example,
> if a fopen() or fputs() fails, because of, for example, a disk

I also found that the %f and other floating formats of fprintf and
relatives causes a GURU, I have tracked down some of the problem, but
have worked around the problem rather than sorted it all out!.

I have CCLib 2.0

> If someone knows the whereabouts of the author, could he please let
> me know ?

I dont think he has electronic access.

I think that this sort of Library should be provided by C=A and the C compiler
3 party companies, it needs tidying up, but would enable C programs to be
smaller and small C progs to be tiny.

Clive.