[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] IFF FORM 8SVX chunk "CHAN" format?

kskelm@happy.colorado.edu (02/18/91)

  Good day!!

   Just what is the format of a CHAN chunk, as found in an IFF 8SVX FORM?
 The value of "4" broke my hack, so I really need to know. (What values mean,
not the chunk's size).

    Thankee!

      Kevin Kelm

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (02/18/91)

kskelm@happy.colorado.edu writes:
>  Good day!!
>   Just what is the format of a CHAN chunk, as found in an IFF 8SVX FORM?

It's just one longword, giving the preferred channel(s) to play on.

 2 = left speaker (amiga channels 0,3)
 4 = right  "     (  "      "     1,2)
 6 = stereo

If stereo, the BODY chunk contains two identically-sized samples....
the first half of the data is for the left, the second half is right.

Watch out for mistakes: I ran across an IFF last night that had a "6",
but it was really only mono data. - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (02/18/91)

kskelm@happy.colorado.edu writes:

>  Good day!!
>
>   Just what is the format of a CHAN chunk, as found in an IFF 8SVX FORM?
> The value of "4" broke my hack, so I really need to know. (What values mean,
>not the chunk's size).

That CHAN hunk is something added by SunRize for Perfect Sound's stereo
recording capabilty.  Here are the defines for it:

#define RIGHT 4
#define LEFT 2
#define STEREO 6

This tells you to either play the sample over a left or right channel, or
play the sample in stereo.  If it is stereo, the sample data for the
two channels which are to be played simultaneosly are in the BODY, left
channel sample data followed by right channel sample data.  The left and
right samples are the same length, so dividing the sample length by
two gives you the length of both channels.  You then just read the first
half of the BODY into your left channel buffer, then the second half
into your right channel buffer.

C'ya,
Jim
--
+--------------------------+      _
|INET:  jimb@faatcrl.uucp  |     | \
|UUCP:  ..!rutgers!faatcrl!|    _|  \______________________________________
|      jimb                |   - ______        ________________          \_`,
+------------------------- + -(_______            -=    -=        USAF       )
                                      `--------=============----------------`
                                                -   -
                                               -   -
                                    `   . .  -  -
                                     .*` .* ;`*,`.,
                                      `, ,`.*.*. *
                IRAQ

Ron_Tarrant@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (02/20/91)

> kskelm@happy.colorado.edu writes:
>

>    Just what is the format of a CHAN chunk, as found in an IFF 8SVX FORM?
>  The value of "4" broke my hack, so I really need to know. (What values mean,
> not the chunk's size).
>

>     Thankee!
>
>       Kevin Kelm

If memory serves, "2" means left, "4" means right, and "6" means both. -Ron