[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] A new sort of distributable software?

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (02/19/91)

I was wondering what people thought of a new concept in software.

HIREWARE

Basically, the program is shareware, with a fairly cheap fee. What
the minimum shareware contribution gets the contributer is the latest version
and some support/bug fixes. If the person suggests a new feature, they pay
for it. An easy to implement feature might cost $5. A difficult change to
suit some particular requirement might cost $100. The cost of a feature may
be divided among several contributers, or payed for by the first to request
it. Any changes may be included in the next public release, and all rights
to the program remain with the programmer.

What do you recon?

Regards Alan

myb100@csc.anu.edu.au (02/20/91)

In article <21216@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
> I was wondering what people thought of a new concept in software.
>
> HIREWARE
>
> Basically, the program is shareware, with a fairly cheap fee. What
> the minimum shareware contribution gets the contributer is the latest version
> and some support/bug fixes. If the person suggests a new feature, they pay
> for it. An easy to implement feature might cost $5. A difficult change to
> suit some particular requirement might cost $100.

Uh - Alan - Those things I said in my review of your Multiplot were just
comments, ok ? :-) <looking nervously at mailbox, waiting for a bill
to appear :-) >

> What do you recon?
> Regards Alan

Well  - I can see the advantages, especially if someone wants a fine-tuned/
specially-tooled version of a program. The  only choice they have is to
(a) beg the programmer or (b) get the source code. Perhaps the programmer
could 'sell' the source code, if the purchaser feels confident enough to
work on it themselves.

I can see a disadvantage, when the programmer and user disagree on what
constitutes a 'new-feature' as opposed to a 'feature-modification',
especially if the modification is more along the lines of either
a bug-fix, or a general usability-enhancement.

An example might be in Multiplot, where I commented on how extra data
sets could only be loaded via the clipboard, or by creating a large file with
all your data-sets in it. I suggested that the data-loader requester could have
a gadget to indicate which data-set the new data could go into.

This is not a bug, nor really a new feature, but a usability-enhancement, I
think. What happens if now you disagree, especially if such a modification
requires a large change to the code, i.e. a large amount of time and effort
on your part ? I would feel hesitant to pay for this, and you wouldn't make
the modification, and we both lose.

I think if the case is clear, then I would follow your suggestion. It's when
the feature is fuzzy that problems might arise.

And there's perhaps another problem with large ($100) changes. Let's say I
wanted a major change to Multiplot say for an astronomically useful feature,
useless for others. You say 'Ok, that will be $100 and will take me 1 month'.
Fine. But where is the onus on either of us ? I don't want to send the $100
in advance and find you don't deliver, nor do you want to make the huge
effort and find I can't pay... This is getting a bit into contracts....

I do want FW/SW/PD authors rewarded for their efforts in some way.

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.edu.au  -or-  markus@merlin.anu.edu.au \XX/     | left blank