[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] VideoToaster

careyk@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carey Kinoshita) (02/16/91)

Does anybody have information concerning NewTek's VideoToaster?
I understand it can use different type of computer generated
wipes (fades?), can overlay computer generated text on live
video, etc.  But what I was wondering was whether it synqs the
different video sources or do you need many timebase correctors
which usually cost thousands of dollars.  AmazingComputing talks
about those new VCRs and LaserDiscs with built-in timebase
correctors, but I found of from some people at a professional
video store that those new VCRs and LaserDiscs don't have true
time-base correctors.  Just one to three line CCD or Digital
Time Base correctors that only correct minor problems and that
they don't sync the video or recreate the color signal.

P.S. Can the VideoToaster capture video frames or fields in 24-bit color?

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (02/21/91)

In article <11487@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> careyk@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carey Kinoshita) writes:
>about those new VCRs and LaserDiscs with built-in timebase
>correctors, but I found of from some people at a professional
>video store that those new VCRs and LaserDiscs don't have true
>time-base correctors.  Just one to three line CCD or Digital
>Time Base correctors that only correct minor problems and that
>they don't sync the video or recreate the color signal.

All you should really need is a single line correction.  We were able to use
two camera input just by syncing from one camera to another camera with an
external sync in.  Worked like a champ.  Now getting video in from a normal
VHS tape deck was a different story...

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and