[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] max rate of CIA interrupts?

snowdond@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (D.N.Snowdon (MSc PJ)) (02/20/91)

  Can anyone tell me what the maximum rate of interrupts
generated by the CIA timers is? I have a program that uses
a CIA interrupt to cause a soft int - the soft int does the
real processing as it can be quite lengthy. All my CIA int
code does is to check a flag indicating if the soft int is
still executing and if not it Cause's the soft int and exits.
  I can get up to about 544 interrupts/sec on a PAL A500
however this seems to be independant of the length of code
in the CIA int & whether I use a soft in or not. I seem to
remember someone saying he had acheived about 2000 CIA ints/sec
(albeit with sever CPU loading) but I don't know whether that
was using a 68000 or a faster processor.

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (02/22/91)

In article <2160@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> snowdond@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (D.N.Snowdon (MSc PJ)) writes:

>  Can anyone tell me what the maximum rate of interrupts
>generated by the CIA timers is? I have a program that uses
>a CIA interrupt to cause a soft int - the soft int does the
>real processing as it can be quite lengthy. All my CIA int
>code does is to check a flag indicating if the soft int is
>still executing and if not it Cause's the soft int and exits.
>  I can get up to about 544 interrupts/sec on a PAL A500
>however this seems to be independant of the length of code
>in the CIA int & whether I use a soft in or not. I seem to
>remember someone saying he had acheived about 2000 CIA ints/sec
>(albeit with sever CPU loading) but I don't know whether that
>was using a 68000 or a faster processor.

    I can run the FLAG input from the parallel port at aproximately 500uS
    intervals... any faster and there is no CPU left for any tasks (this is
    on a standard A500 -- an oscilliscope thingy I made).

    The actual parallel port interrupt handler doesn't take too much time,
    at least not looking at it with an oscilliscope (a real one) by
    doing a BSET at the beginning and a BCLR at the end of an output bit,
    so I can only assume a lot of overhead in the amiga's CIA interrupt
    handler code.

					-Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon