[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Amiga Fortran 77

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Rory Toma) (02/15/91)

What is a good Fortran 77 compiler that will run under 2.0?
I need one.

judge

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (02/16/91)

I use f2c and SAS/C (any ANSI-type compiler, *or* K&R-type compiler
works too, so MANX 3.6a or 5.0x should work fine also...) to port
working fortran code over to the Amiga.  If you want to port working
fortran code, f2c works great.  If you want to write something
from scratch, it may be a bit slow to wait for both passes to complete.
If you own a C compiler, the price is right --- free!

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the

cullip@sargent.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.175522.29335@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>I use f2c and SAS/C (any ANSI-type compiler, *or* K&R-type compiler
>works too, so MANX 3.6a or 5.0x should work fine also...) to port
>working fortran code over to the Amiga.  If you want to port working
>fortran code, f2c works great.

Where do you find f2c?  Is this a public domain translator or commercial?
I will be doing some work with fortran code soon, and would like to be
able to convert it to C before I start modifying it for my own use.

Tim Cullip
cullip@cs.unc.edu

--

   Tim Cullip
   cullip@cs.unc.edu

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/16/91)

In article <5iaDX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Rory Toma) writes:
>What is a good Fortran 77 compiler that will run under 2.0?
>I need one.
>
>judge

I remember a post a few weeks ago about a Fortran 77 compiler on Xanth.  Not
being a Fortran hack myself, I paid little attention to it, so I don't know
if it works under 2.0, and since I haven't tried it, I have no idea how good
it is.  I do recall it is shareware and/or a demo version, though.

Date        Size    Pathname
04-Feb-91    15090  incoming/amiga/BCF77.English.Readme
01-Feb-91      178  incoming/amiga/BCF77.Readme
01-Feb-91   175901  incoming/amiga/BCF77.lzh

I just went & got the English.Readme file, and this is the author:
    |             BC-FORTRAN77 Vers.1.3C            |
    |  Copyright: Andre Kvstli                      |
    |     1990    Martin-Luther-Str.63              |
    |             D7000 Stuttgart 50                |
    |-----------------------------------------------|

The file doen't mention an internet address (at least that I could find
quickly), and it doesn't mention WB1.3 or WB2.0

BTW, xanth is 128.155.23.64 ab20.larc.nasa.gov
--
Dave Schaumann      | DANGER: Access holes may tear easily.  Use of the access
dave@cs.arizona.edu | carton and subsequent injury to the user.

Tim Cullip wrote:
> Where do you find f2c?
It is on an AT&T machine for anonymous ftp. research.att.com I believe.

> Is this a public domain translator or commercial?
Well, I *did* say it was FREE.  What does that mean to you? :-)
It is copyright 198x-1990 Bellcore and AT&T Bell Labs :-).  Gee, who
would have guessed... AT&T making a Fortran to C converter... :-)
Here is the actual Copyright note:
/****************************************************************
Copyright 1990 by AT&T Bell Laboratories and Bellcore.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
copies and that both that the copyright notice and this
permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting
documentation, and that the names of AT&T Bell Laboratories or
Bellcore or any of their entities not be used in advertising or
publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without
specific, written prior permission.

AT&T and Bellcore disclaim all warranties with regard to this
software, including all implied warranties of merchantability
and fitness.  In no event shall AT&T or Bellcore be liable for
any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages
whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether
in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action,
arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of
this software.
****************************************************************/
Humm, sounds like most software agreements, at least you get
source with this one...

> I will be doing some work with fortran code soon, and would like to be
> able to convert it to C before I start modifying it for my own use.
You don't want to do that.  The resulting C code looks like
spaghetti.  It is not to be used to make C code a human would
want to look at... (I.e. it looks worst than the Fortran you started
with!)  It is to be used with optimizing C compilers, that have had
more man hours put into them than Fortran compilers (on the same system).
For example, on a VAX running VMS, it would be stupid to use f2c, because
DEC has (had...?) a Fortran compiler God working on the Fortran compiler.
BUT, under most versions of UNIX the C is good, but the Fortran compiler
sucks.  C, the assembly language of the ninties...

From f2c.h, I love it:
/* f2c.h  --  Standard Fortran to C header file */

/**  barf  [ba:rf]  2.  "He suggested using FORTRAN, and everybody barfed."

        - From The Shogakukan DICTIONARY OF NEW ENGLISH (Second edition) */

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the
  recent MacExpo.  Gee, you wouldn't think that an Apple Exec would be so
  worried about one little Amiga Device... Loren J. Rittle  l-rittle@uiuc.edu

In article <5iaDX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Rory Toma) writes:
>What is a good Fortran 77 compiler that will run under 2.0?

As far as I know there is also a commercial compiler made by Absoft,
named AC/Fortran. (Yes, the guys who also did AC/Basic.) Don't know
whether it's still available, but got some good critics in papers,
also from people who had really worked with it.

bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (02/23/91)

In article <901@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>As far as I know there is also a commercial compiler made by Absoft,
>named AC/Fortran. (Yes, the guys who also did AC/Basic.) Don't know
>whether it's still available, but got some good critics in papers,

Yes, it is still available, but it is still at the same revision (V2.3) that
it was two years ago.  We are all hoping for an upgrade to something similar
to their Mac product, which is nearly a Fortran-90 compiler.

There is a simple reason to prefer AC/Fortran to f2c (the PD Fortran-to-C
translator): speed.  The LINPACK benchmark on an A3000 takes about 15 seconds
to compile to a runnable program with AC/Fortran;  the combination of f2c
and Manx C compile and link is more like 90 seconds.
--
Stephen R. Walton, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Cal State Northridge
I am srw@csun.edu no matter WHAT the stupid From: line says!