[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] A590/NoiseTracker bug

GHGAEEM@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (02/21/91)

         I don't really know if this message should be here, but I've seen
that others also post their problems relating to hard/software combinations
here, so ...

         I've got an A590 20MB XT interface harddisk.  I know the thing is
VERY slow, but that is (for once) not the problem.  The question is : why do
some programs (NoiseTracker, SoundTracker < v2.4, IFFConv of Kefrens I think)
don't get the keyboard input anymore ?  I've tried to scan the programs for
their input routines, but came up with nothing at all ... They don't use an
interrupt to access the hardware, they obviously do not use documented features
of KickStart (otherwise it should work), they do not access the keyboard
serial data register (for as far as I can tell) ... SO WHAT DO THEY DO AND HOW
CAN I FIX IT ?

         I've got some comments on the non-disclosure agreement of commodore.
I'm no developer and I'm not really interested in 2.0, but I don't think C= is
doing the right thing by not making the Kickstart 2.0 available to all Amiga
users.  Ok, there are no bugfree versions yet, but will there ever be ?  By
not giving the 'old' Amiga fans the posibility to run Kickstart 2.0, you are
spliting up the Amiga world ... One of the problems I have to handle on my 500
is that a lot of P.D. soft doesn't work under 1.3 anymore and a friend of mine
says that there's to much software that doesn't run under 2.0.  For my friend
there's no problem, on his 3000 he can use Kick 1.3, but for me there's no
legal solution yet ... I'm stuck with a powerfull machine who's memory banks
are visited by the guru a bit too often ...

         So, that's my point of view ... I hope C= will release the new Kick
2.0 for the 500 and 2000 in the near future |  Never-the-less I'll stay an
Amiga freak for ever (at least until there's a better computer |)

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (02/23/91)

In a message posted on 21 Feb 91 13:28:25 GMT,
GHGAEEM@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be wrote:
G>users.  Ok, there are no bugfree versions yet, but will there ever be ?  By
G>not giving the 'old' Amiga fans the posibility to run Kickstart 2.0, you are
G>spliting up the Amiga world ... One of the problems I have to handle on my 500

Actually, to a certain degree, I agree with you (IE: Splitting things up) This
is why I was dis-apointed to see the A3000 running 2.0 for the average Consumer.
I, as a developer, constantly get 'harrassed' buy A3000 users who want to get
'the latest update' that fixes such-in-such problem that the copy of Kickstart
(Usually one that they should not have anyways) seems to have a problem with.

  If Commodore had of released the first version of 2.00 that the A3000 came with
originally out to the public, 2.0 would probably be a DEAD issue by now in
the consumers minds, and there would be NO possibility of getting people
to upgrade in the future.

G>there's no problem, on his 3000 he can use Kick 1.3, but for me there's no
G>legal solution yet ... I'm stuck with a powerfull machine who's memory banks

Do realize that the 'kick 1.3' is going away, and won't be available (Without
hardware hack (IE: Installing both Kickstarts) to <A2500 machines. Also realize
that it is really only BUGGY software that has problems with 2.0 anyways, but
unfortunately all too much of the software didn't follow the rules (From what
I understand, the Manx compiler ITSELF generated bad code, even if the
programmer was writing things that were legal).

G>         So, that's my point of view ... I hope C= will release the new Kick
G>2.0 for the 500 and 2000 in the near future |  Never-the-less I'll stay an
G>Amiga freak for ever (at least until there's a better computer |)

When there is a ROM, it will be available.  Until then, shipping 'Zkick' to
Consumers would be ludicrus!

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca