[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] amiga---ibm

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (02/20/91)

In article <1095@qusunb.queensu.CA> rosenblo@qucis.queensu.CA (Arnold Rosenbloom) writes:
>I have an A500 and an old IBM clone with a 20MB harddrive.
>I was wondering if anyone out there has looked into using
>the harddrive on a IBM through one of the ports. What I had
>in mind is a program running on the IBM which would service
>requests from the amiga...would this be difficult...impossible...
>or has it been done?
>Thanks in advance
>Arnold

strange but true - a long long time ago i wrote such a set of programs - a
device driver for the amiga and a server for the pc.  of course, the pc was
useless (aren't they always? :) when the server was running, but it did work.
it was slightly faster than floppy disks, but beats the hell out of swapping
floppies for the rest of your life.  look around for "amtopcpp.zoo" - i know
it's on lots of bbses, but not sure where to find it anymore.  (i've got a
copy of course!  somewhere...)

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

graham@dolmen.UUCP (James Graham) (02/23/91)

> In article <1095@qusunb.queensu.CA> rosenblo@qucis.queensu.CA (Arnold Rosenbloom) writes:
> >I have an A500 and an old IBM clone with a 20MB harddrive.
> >I was wondering if anyone out there has looked into using
> >the harddrive on a IBM through one of the ports. What I had
> >in mind is a program running on the IBM which would service
> >requests from the amiga...would this be difficult...impossible...
> >or has it been done?

Yes.  It has been done, several times.

Check out some of the ads in AmigaWorld.  There are 3 or 4 companies
that sell interfaces for connecting ST506 type drives (the old ibm
throwaway drives) to the amiga.

I'm presently using an interface from Pre'Spect Technics, a company in
Canada.

I have two Seagate ST238 RLL drives connected to my A500 and have never
had any problems.

What is interesting is that these drives are much faster.  For one thing,
the Amiga does not DMA as the PC does, hence the interleave can be set
much lower, which can really speed things up.

This particular interface supports a very LARGE list of ST506 drives, and
of course, allows one to adjust the parameters for those not on the list.

It is also relatively inexpensive.

There are also a couple of American companies that make interfaces as well
and all are fairly competitive in price.

Hope this helps.

-Jim

--
Jim Graham
dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/27/91)

As far as I have been able to determine, there are three companies
which make ST-506 type hard drive interfaces for the A500, A1000, and
A2000 computers.  They are Palomax, Spirit, and Pre'spect.

Palomax MAX-125 $175
Supports almost any ST-506 (IBM PC-Type) hard drive, using IBM PC or
AT compatible hard-drive controllers (they list WD
1002/1004/1006/1007, OMTI 8127/5527, and DTC 5150 as compatible) and
supply AmaxII compatible drivers.  The  interface is an uncased
circuit board with sockets for up to 4 IBM style drive controllers.
The project will require some hardware work (procuring cases and
installing everything) it is not a plug and go solution.

Spirit HDA-506 $399
Supports MFM or RLL hard drives; includes an interface and a hard
drive box (all with cases and power supplies).  An optional autoboot
prom is available for v1.3 systems.  Reviewed in this month (March)
Amazing Computing.  Install the harddrive in the box, plug it
together, and run the setup software.

Pre'spec Technics (price varies)
They seem to sell everything from the Palomax style interface to
plug-and-go systems with hard drives already installed.

Palomax 215-672-6815
Spirit  800-433-7572
Prespec 514-954-1483

I'm going to go with a Spirit Tech HDA-506 for my A1000 as soon as I
can get the money together.  OH!  The MAX unit will work with the CSA
Midget Racer, but *NOT* with LUCAS/FRANCES; the HDA-506 will work with
LUCAS (ask for a special eprom).

Wildstar