[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] DNET server/client relationships

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (02/20/91)

I am having conceptual difficulties with DNet, which may be related
to some difficulties I have getting it going.  I'm using the version
from volume90 comp.sources.amiga archives.

Do the client/servers have a 1:1 relationship with each other?
If so, are they assigned the same numbers?  The problem I'm having
is that the Amiga side has 8195==fterm, which would suggest that
the unix side should have an 8195==sterm, but no such luck...there's
no sterm at all.  There is an sshell on the unix side (8193), but
no fshell on the amiga side.

Am I missing something?  Does anyone that has DNet running know
what's going on?  (I figured most DNet users are programmers, hence
the location of this plea.)

thanks,
dylan
--
dylan mcnamee             / "Ten Years After WWIV...there wasn't much to do;
dylan@cs.washington.edu \/ bowling alleys were wrecked, so I spent most of

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (02/28/91)

In article <15120@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I am having conceptual difficulties with DNet, which may be related
>to some difficulties I have getting it going.	I'm using the version
>from volume90 comp.sources.amiga archives.
>
>Do the client/servers have a 1:1 relationship with each other?
>If so, are they assigned the same numbers?  The problem I'm having
>is that the Amiga side has 8195==fterm, which would suggest that
>the unix side should have an 8195==sterm, but no such luck...there's
>no sterm at all.  There is an sshell on the unix side (8193), but
>no fshell on the amiga side.
>
>Am I missing something?  Does anyone that has DNet running know
>what's going on?  (I figured most DNet users are programmers, hence
>the location of this plea.)
>
>thanks,
>dylan
>--
>dylan mcnamee		   / "Ten Years After WWIV...there wasn't much to do;
>dylan@cs.washington.edu \/ bowling alleys were wrecked, so I spent most of

    The clients themselves do not have a port assignment.  What the clients
    do is open up a connection over a specific port on the remote side
    to connect to the appropriate server.  But you are correct in that
    there is essentially a 1:1 relationship.

    Only servers are listed in the DNET.SERVERS file.

    The reason the UNIX side does not have an STERM server is because
    it is built into the DNET driver on the unix side to reduce the number
    of context switches required to echo a character.  The Amiga side has
    an STERM server because context switches are cheap on the Amiga!

						-Matt
--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon