[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Script vs. program

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (02/28/91)

In article <45932@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Michael_Kelly@61ssc1.ceo.dg.com writes:

   Would somebody like to define the difference between a 'program' and
   a 'script'?

A program is something you write to achieve an end, and goes out and
does "the right thing" appropriately invoked. A script is a a program
that is interpreted by an interactive command processor in lieu of
being entered directly. An executable is the form of a program that is
actually used when it's run.

   It seems to me that setting the Shell prompt to "Hello World" does
   not satisfy the requirement for a 20 byte program to display that
   string, neither does 'echo "hello world"' etc.

I half agree. The 20-byte script is a program. A script that sets the
shell prompt to "Hello world" is a program with a different end.
Setting the prompt isn't a program - no executable, and it prints the
string everytime a program is through being invoked, not on demand.

	<mike
--
So this is where the future lies			Mike Meyer
In a beer gut belly; In an open fly			mwm@pa.dec.com

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/28/91)

In article <MWM.91Feb27111811@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>I half agree. The 20-byte script is a program. A script that sets the
>shell prompt to "Hello world" is a program with a different end.
>Setting the prompt isn't a program - no executable, and it prints the
>string everytime a program is through being invoked, not on demand.

Nahh - all you have to do is say that the request to execute "hello world"
is to press the return button...

Personally, I veiw the thread that lead up to this as a proof that
echo "hello world" is *not* a program - by the technique of reduction to
absurdity.  (There's a fancy latin name for it, but I won't inflict the
net with how I think I remember it's spelled ;-)

--
		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu
'Dog Gang'!  Where do they get off calling us the 'Dog Gang'?  I'm beginning to