[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Make

bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) (02/15/91)

Picked up the Make program from volume90 of comp.binaries.amiga and was
wondering if anyone else has had the following problems and/or solutions for
it.  When running make, I get:

   make: Don't know how to make include.o

Now, the documentation says that the defaults come from s:builtins.make,
which contains the following:

   CC = cc
   CFLAGS =
   AS = as
   AFLAGS =

   .c.o:
           $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $<

   .s.o:
           $(AS) $(AFLAGS) -o $@ $<

This is all under Manx Aztec C, and I'm trying to test a Makefile produced
by Imake. The Makefile seems comparable to the one generated by Unix. I
can't think of any reason why it won't call the .c.o rule to produce the
object modules. I tried putting the .c.o rules directly in the Makefile,
but it made no difference.

| Shawn L. Baird                        | Or via US Snail:                  |
| bairds@eecs.ee.pdx.edu                | 17650 SE Cason Rd.                |
| ...uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!bairds | Gladstone, OR  97027              |

jseymour@medar.com (James Seymour) (03/01/91)

In article <1623@pdxgate.UUCP> bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) writes:
>Picked up the Make program from volume90 of comp.binaries.amiga and was
>wondering if anyone else has had the following problems and/or solutions for
>it.  When running make, I get:
>
>   make: Don't know how to make include.o
>
>[stuff deleted...]

Shawn,

    I believe I'm using the same PD "make" on my 3000 with SAS/C, and other
than not being able to "peek into" libraries, it has (so far) worked
*identically* to the UNIX make that I've been using for over three years on
various UNIX and Xenix systems.  I think the problem you are experiencing
is because you haven't told make what suffixes to pay attention to.  Add the
following line to the end of your "builtins.make" file:

.SUFFIXES: .o .c .h

And whatever other suffixes you're dealing with (i.e.: using "rcs"?, add
".c,v" and ".h,v" to the list.  Using assembler?, add ".a" or ".s" and
".inc" to the list).  If you're still having a problem, let me know, and
I'll fetch and post my builtins.make.

--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.