[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Manx 5.0e update

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/26/91)

	I just got a note from Jeff Davis of Manx.  Version 5.0e of their
Amiga C compiler is on the Manx BBS in the Amiga Update area.  (You have
to send a note to the sysop, with your registration number, to get access
to this area.)

	In his words:

		Version 5.0e of the Amiga compiler is on the manx bbs, in
		the amiga update area, in file cc50e1.lzh; it fixes a bug
		that prevented resident libraries from working.

The phone number for the Manx BBS is in your manual.

	Jeff also said that there is "talk" about making a newsletter for
Manx users, "but that's all it is now - talk."  If you want such a thing,
maybe calling Manx may help push the idea forward.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jupiter@olympus.mlb.fl.us (Kurt R. Hawkes) (03/01/91)

In article <7650@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, Dan Barrett writes:

> 	I just got a note from Jeff Davis of Manx.  Version 5.0e of their
> Amiga C compiler is on the Manx BBS in the Amiga Update area.  (You have
> to send a note to the sysop, with your registration number, to get access
> to this area.)
>
> 	In his words:
>
> 		Version 5.0e of the Amiga compiler is on the manx bbs, in
> 		the amiga update area, in file cc50e1.lzh; it fixes a bug
> 		that prevented resident libraries from working.

First of all, is your registration number the serial numbers located on
your master disks?  Secondly how large is this update and what is the
max baudrate of the BBS?

> The phone number for the Manx BBS is in your manual.

I give up.  I looked and did not find it in the manual.  Can you give me
a specific page?  Or maybe the actual phone number.  Basically I'd hate
to make several long distance phone calls for nothing.

> 	Jeff also said that there is "talk" about making a newsletter for
> Manx users, "but that's all it is now - talk."  If you want such a thing,
> maybe calling Manx may help push the idea forward.
>
>                                                         Dan

- Kurt

--
  Kurt Hawkes              Amiga 2000  (Hey, it works! Works well!)
                     //                (Just cover up the C word!)

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (03/01/91)

In article <18c1518e.ARN03b5@olympus.mlb.fl.us> jupiter@olympus.mlb.fl.us writes:
>First of all, is your registration number the serial numbers located on
>your master disks?  Secondly how large is this update and what is the
>max baudrate of the BBS?

Yep, that's the registration number.  The update file is approx 60K.

>> The phone number for the Manx BBS is in your manual.

>I give up.  I looked and did not find it in the manual.  Can you give me
>a specific page?  Or maybe the actual phone number.

It's on page 4-4 of the "Technical Support" chapter in the front of
the 5.0 manual.  BBS: (201) 542-2793

- Kurt

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "We defy augury"                                                    |

djohnson@mbongo.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (03/02/91)

In article <19381@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>In article <18c1518e.ARN03b5@olympus.mlb.fl.us> jupiter@olympus.mlb.fl.us writes:
>>First of all, is your registration number the serial numbers located on
>>your master disks?  Secondly how large is this update and what is the
>>max baudrate of the BBS?
>
>Yep, that's the registration number.  The update file is approx 60K.

Is there possibly any other method of doing this?  Using a BBS as the
only official method of updates is silly.  Probably just wait for
5.1 and hope someone mentions that it is out (since I have never
received any notice through official channels from Manx).
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (03/02/91)

jupiter@olympus.mlb.fl.us (Kurt R. Hawkes) writes:

>In article <7650@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, Dan Barrett writes:

>First of all, is your registration number the serial numbers located on
>your master disks?  Secondly how large is this update and what is the
>max baudrate of the BBS?

Yes.  I don't know. 1200 baud (at one time)

>> The phone number for the Manx BBS is in your manual.

>I give up.  I looked and did not find it in the manual.  Can you give me
>a specific page?  Or maybe the actual phone number.  Basically I'd hate
>to make several long distance phone calls for nothing.

(201) 542-2793 p. 4-4 of v5.0 C User Guide (first section of book)
	       p. 3 of 3.6a Using MANX Technical Support (three ring
			    binder version) chapter
--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar2.012740.18001@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) writes:
>jupiter@olympus.mlb.fl.us (Kurt R. Hawkes) writes:
>>In article <7650@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, Dan Barrett writes:
>>[...]what is the max baudrate of the [Manx] BBS?
>
>[...]1200 baud (at one time)

The maximum is at least 2400 baud, although the last time I called at 2400
baud the line was so noisy I was unable to log in.  I had no problem at
1200 baud, though.  (Apart from the fact that 1200 baud is half fast).

--
		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu
'Dog Gang'!  Where do they get off calling us the 'Dog Gang'?  I'm beginning to

cgehman@hubcap.clemson.edu (Corey Gehman) (03/03/91)

djohnson@mbongo.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) writes:

>In article <19381@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>Is there possibly any other method of doing this?  Using a BBS as the
>only official method of updates is silly.  Probably just wait for
>5.1 and hope someone mentions that it is out (since I have never
>received any notice through official channels from Manx).

Yes, you can order the update by phone.  They have an "upgrade" phone
number in the front of the manual (I'm not sure if they let you upgrade
from their 800 number or not).  They charged me $15 to send me a disk
with the new files on it.

My biggest complaint about Manx is not receiving any information about
new upgrades.  I've always found out in the amiga newgroups and then
call them to upgrade.  They must be losing a lot of money from people
that would like to upgrade but never find out about it.

| Corey Gehman                  | "you will get to watch the Amiga            |
| cg377170@lion.eng.clemson.edu |     FIREWORKS_DISPLAY mode."                |
| cgehman@hubcap.clemson.edu    |              - Intuition Reference Manual   |

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (03/03/91)

In article <991@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
> The maximum is at least 2400 baud, although the last time I called at 2400
> baud the line was so noisy I was unable to log in.  I had no problem at
> 1200 baud, though.  (Apart from the fact that 1200 baud is half fast).
>
> --
> 		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu

  I downloaded 5.0e lastnight from Manx without any problems at 2400 baud.
There was a new bulletin which stated that they have re-worked their
telephone cable to improve the line-noise problem.

  The download took 7 minutes using XModem at 2400 baud.

  Manx BBS @(201)542-2793

  --Allen

--
|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (03/03/91)

In article <991@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>In article <1991Mar2.012740.18001@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) writes:
>>jupiter@olympus.mlb.fl.us (Kurt R. Hawkes) writes:
>>>In article <7650@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, Dan Barrett writes:
>>>[...]what is the max baudrate of the [Manx] BBS?
>>
>>[...]1200 baud (at one time)
>
>The maximum is at least 2400 baud, although the last time I called at 2400
>baud the line was so noisy I was unable to log in.  I had no problem at
>1200 baud, though.  (Apart from the fact that 1200 baud is half fast).

It's 2400 now.  I asked them when they were going to put in a 9600
modem.  Someday.

The line noise problem is gone. I downloaded my 5.0E fix from the BBS
just fine (at 2400).

bj

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/04/91)

In article <19445@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>It's 2400 now.  I asked them when they were going to put in a 9600
>modem.  Someday.

Gee, I bet "someday" would be a lot sooner if you volunteered to
pay for the modem yourself...	:-)

> | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |

followups to c.s.a.datacomm

--

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (03/04/91)

Brian> The line noise problem is gone. I downloaded my 5.0E fix from the BBS
Brian> just fine (at 2400).

Do you need to be at 5.0e to make use of the download update (I'm currently at
5.0b)?  I don't want to try to download this via long distance if it isn't
going to be helpful once I get it.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (03/04/91)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.91Mar3183705@cimshop3.uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>Do you need to be at 5.0e to make use of the download update (I'm currently at
>5.0b)?  I don't want to try to download this via long distance if it isn't
>going to be helpful once I get it.

Are you writing code for libraries? If not then don't bother. Just wait
for the real update.  Otherwise, the answer is yes, you can use the 'E'
compiler just fine with the 'D' stuff. As far as I know this new 'cc'
is the only thing that exists called 'E'. (sheesh, Sesame Street.:))

bj

huver@amgraf.UUCP (Huver) (03/06/91)

In article <19470@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson)
writes:
>In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.91Mar3183705@cimshop3.uunet.UU.NET>
> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>>Do you need to be at 5.0e to make use of the download update (I'm currently at
>>5.0b)?  I don't want to try to download this via long distance if it isn't
  ^^^^
>>going to be helpful once I get it.
>
>Are you writing code for libraries? If not then don't bother. Just wait
>for the real update.  Otherwise, the answer is yes, you can use the 'E'
>compiler just fine with the 'D' stuff. As far as I know this new 'cc'
>is the only thing that exists called 'E'. (sheesh, Sesame Street.:))
>
>bj

The original poster, David Masterson, indicated clearly he's at 5.0 'B', not
'D'.  There's quite a bit difference from B to D: cc, as, libraries, sdb,
and some header file fixes (I don't remember if the full header files were
distributed with D).

As far as I am concerned, 5.0a and b were so buggy it ain't funny (run, not
walk, away from them).  5.0d seems a lot stable -- though not perfect, but
the stupid -MR bug can be worked around; and the -r6 option solves 'trashing
your A6' problem for codes that need it (eg. a library).

The 5.0d libraries (c*.lib), though,  had 'lvodos' modules got their offset
signs reversed, but Jeff Davis at Manx had posted a replacement 'lvodos.lzh'
on the BBS.

-huver	!uunet!amgraf!huver  -or-  huver%amgraf@uunet.uu.net
------
"Universal Look & Feel: would the female population in the world welcome
 the idea that all men look and feel like Mel Gibson?  What about all
 women look and feel exactly like Madonna, guys?"

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (03/07/91)

Huver> In article <19470@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian
Huver> Jackson) writes:

BJ> In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.91Mar3183705@cimshop3.uunet.UU.NET>
BJ> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

David> Do you need to be at 5.0e to make use of the download update (I'm
                            ^^^^ -- should be 5.0d
David> currently at 5.0b)?  I don't want to try to download this via long
Huver>              ^^^^
David> distance if it isn't going to be helpful once I get it.

BJ> Are you writing code for libraries? If not then don't bother. Just wait
BJ> for the real update.  Otherwise, the answer is yes, you can use the 'E'
BJ> compiler just fine with the 'D' stuff. As far as I know this new 'cc' is
BJ> the only thing that exists called 'E'. (sheesh, Sesame Street.:))

Huver> The original poster, David Masterson, indicated clearly he's at 5.0
Huver> 'B', not 'D'.  There's quite a bit difference from B to D: cc, as,
Huver> libraries, sdb, and some header file fixes (I don't remember if the
Huver> full header files were distributed with D).

Yeh, but I did screw up.  I meant to ask 'do you need to be at 5.0d to make
use of the 5.0e upgrade' or does the 5.0e upgrade upgrade any 5.0 version to
the current 5.0e?  Apparently, if I can get access to the BBS (sometimes a
problem), I would have to get the b->c, c->d, d->e upgrades to bring me up to
snuff.  Are all these upgrades still on the BBS?