[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Notepad 1.7 on wb 2.0/a3000

axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu (03/07/91)

  Notepad 1.7 on wb 2.0/a3000

Help!

When I click on my notepad (not that I use it that much), I get the
following :

   "Notepad is looking for Fonts.  Are you there fonts?"

and the first time, my system rebooted,  the 2nd time I had my mouse
freeze and had to reboot, the 3rd time I had a shell open and it
said the same thing but no reboot had to be done, but I still couldn't
close the notepad window.  I could click on the box to close but it didn't
work. Plus my screen updating started to mess up.

I opened the shell to do a  DIR FONTS: and it showed my directory.
My guess is I have too many fonts for the notepad to handle (18 fonts).

I've submitted this question to applications and programmers...
hopefully someone can explain to me what's going on!

System: A3000/25 wb 2.0  notepad version 1.7

(nothing else was open/running in the background...)

oh and to the guys who know how to define things,  can someone
describe why the Amiga is multitasking compared to an ibm/mac system?
(we don't have 2 cpu's do we? so how can it run stuff simultaneously
without other windows pausing etc...)  I'm new to the amiga and wanta
be able to tell others why it's a true multi-tasking system correctly...
thanks ... Pam (Correct me please! if I'm way off base)

(email is fine or post reply...)

ewout@topcat.commodore.com (Ewout Walraven) (03/07/91)

axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu writes:

>  Notepad 1.7 on wb 2.0/a3000

Notepad does not work reliably with 2.0. It has been replaced with a fine Ed.
You may notice Notepads absence on the WB2.X: partition and the disks that came
with your A3000.

>(we don't have 2 cpu's do we? so how can it run stuff simultaneously
>without other windows pausing etc...)  I'm new to the amiga and wanta

The one 680x0 is multiplexed among the tasks. The speed of task switching gives
you the illusion that multiple tasks run at the same time, whereas in reality
Exec assigns processor time to each task in turn. For an indepth description
of how multitasking is implemented on the Amiga you might want to read the
Exec: Tasks chapter in the 1.3 Rom Kernel Manual: Libraries and Devices.
Especially if you want to tell others about it.