[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Wattsa Matta here?

mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) (03/07/91)

["It looks like the mother of all wars is the mother of all retreats"]

I am calling OpenWindow and it fails for whatever reason. On my
A1000 running 1.3, I get a guru, on my A3000 OpenWindow returns a NULL
as it should.

I am trying to trap low-memory failures. That is, if there isn't enough
memory to support another window, theoretically OpenWIndow should just
return a NULL and be done with it. Instead I get an $81000001 GURU.
(as a side note, I was trying to open a small 20x20 pixel window with
over >>100K<< of CHIP ram left, and it still go boom).

I get the same results if, while I have enough CHIP Ram, I try to open the
window so part of it falls off of the screen. A common OpenWindow failure
mode. Boom! The same thing...

On the 3000 under 1.3, OpenWindow behaves normally.

The 1000 has 2 1/2 meg, a Hurricane 020 board and C-Ltd SCSI adapter.

Could this be some funky hardware problem from hell?

So, what gives?
mike

--
"outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend, inside a dog, it's
 too dark to read"-Groucho

Mike Smithwick - ames!zorch!mike

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.065646.16121@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) writes:

>I am calling OpenWindow and it fails for whatever reason. On my
>A1000 running 1.3, I get a guru, on my A3000 OpenWindow returns a NULL
>as it should.

This is due to lots and lots of debugging and beta testing of 2.0.
2.0 handles low memory conditions and other errors much better than
previous versions of the OS.  Great job by the development team and
all the beta testers!
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.065646.16121@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) writes:

>I am calling OpenWindow and it fails for whatever reason. On my
>A1000 running 1.3, I get a guru, on my A3000 OpenWindow returns a NULL
>as it should.
>
>On the 3000 under 1.3, OpenWindow behaves normally.
                   ^^^

For those of you that noticed, I missed this line when I originally replied.
I don't know why 1.3 would behave better on a 3000 under low memory conditions.

mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) (03/10/91)

In article <19607@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <1991Mar7.065646.16121@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>>
>>I am calling OpenWindow and it fails for whatever reason. On my
>>A1000 running 1.3, I get a guru, on my A3000 OpenWindow returns a NULL
>>as it should.
>>
>>On the 3000 under 1.3, OpenWindow behaves normally.
>                   ^^^
>
>For those of you that noticed, I missed this line when I originally replied.
>I don't know why 1.3 would behave better on a 3000 under low memory conditions.
>--
>--
>Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
>uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
>bix:  kfarinsky

I think I found the problem, at least in part. I removed my CLTd SCSI interface
and OpenWindow would behave properly. My 2 meg expansion hung on the end
of the interface so perhaps there was some funky problem caused by that. At
times my 1000 would just crash on its own. That still doesn't explain why
OpenWindow would fail when I had 100K of CHIP RAM left and all I wanted was
a 20x20 pixel window. Sheeeesh! The memory can't be that fragged can it?

mike