[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] How to Add A501 to 1M

efp90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Pritchard EF) (03/14/91)

In <1991Mar13.004556.14039@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) writes:

>ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:

>>I would like to be able to use an A501 ram board with a Rev 6A A500 computer
>>that has 1Mb of memory (chip) on its' motherboard. This configuration does not
>>seem to work without some hardware mods. Anybody know how?????

>Can't be done with an A501.

>Commodore, in there great wisdom :) brought out an A500 which can use 1Mb
>of chip ram (ie, rev 6A and newer). Anyway, the address space used for the
>extra .5Mb of Chip was also allocated to the A501. Result: You can't have a
>clock (ie, the A501) on an A500 with 1Mb chip ram on the motherboard. So
>you can't have 1.5Mb either.

>Unless...
>  You did what I did. I got an 'AX-RAM' board (2Mb version) from SE WATTS
>Electronics in Hoppers Crossing (Victoria). This allows (when populated to
>2Mb), you to have an A500 rev 6A, with 1Mb chip ram (only .5 on the
>motherboard tho- the other half is on the AX-RAM), 1.5Mb fast (??) ram, and
>a clock. If you don't want 1Mb chip ram, you can have 2Mb fast instead.
>BUT, you still have to remove the extra .5Mb of chip if you did install it,
>(and use these to populate the AX-RAM)

>>Many Thanks,
>>Gavin.......
>>--
>>Internet: ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au                    Phone: +61 7 365 3942
>>  Postal: Gavin Stone-Tolcher, Prentice Computer Centre (Network Management)
>>          Queensland University, St Lucia, QLD Australia 4072.

>| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |     This side for rent...      |
>| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        |                                |

You can do the same thing with the IDC Ad-RAM which is probably more availiable
in Europe and the USA. Again, this requires removing the extra DRAMs from your
A500 board and inserting them into the Ad-RAM board I'm afraid. (You did socket
them didn't you? :-| )

By the way the IDC Ad-RAM is a very good product, though I am worried that I may
have troubles upgrading or adding other items which need a board under Gary, since
that is where Ad-RAM goes too...

E.F.Pritchard.
efp90@uk.ac.soton.ecs

etj90 (The Binary Warlock) (03/14/91)

With the Datel Electronics 0.5MB board you just flip a switch on the
board if you have the right Agnus.