[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] expansion memory

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (03/17/91)

  Does anyone know what the "attributes" parameter is for on the AddMemList
command?  I've looked in the ROM Kernal Manuals but nada.  In making an
Addmem, what does the attributes tell?

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (03/18/91)

In article <8059@crash.cts.com>, hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) says:

>  Does anyone know what the "attributes" parameter is for on the AddMemList
>command?  I've looked in the ROM Kernal Manuals but nada.  In making an
>Addmem, what does the attributes tell?

It exactly corresponds to the attributes you pass to AllocMem when getting
memory. For expansion memory you should set MEMF_FAST and probably
MEMF_PUBLIC (just in case).

-- Dan Babcock

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) (03/18/91)

In article <8059@crash.cts.com>, hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>   Does anyone know what the "attributes" parameter is for on the AddMemList
> command?  I've looked in the ROM Kernal Manuals but nada.  In making an
> Addmem, what does the attributes tell?

I think (don't have my manuals on hand) that the attributes you are talking about
are MEMF_CLEAR (clear the allocated memory), MEMF_CHIP (allocate chip memory),
MEMF_PUBLIC (I don't know if this one is being implemented yet, but the manual
says to use it for future compatibility) and I think there is something like
MEMF_FAST (allocate fast ram, but I could be wrong on this one).  There may be
more attribute flags than I stated, but that's the jist of them (I think).

Matt Pierce

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (03/18/91)

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>  Does anyone know what the "attributes" parameter is for on the AddMemList
>command?  I've looked in the ROM Kernal Manuals but nada.  In making an
>Addmem, what does the attributes tell?

The "attributes" parameter uses the exact same values that calls to allocate
memory use.  It is a field meant to be checked by the system (or whatever is
looking there) for the type of memory a particular node is.  For example, if
you were adding a 2 megabyte section of FAST memory, you'd use MEMF_FAST in
the attributed field...[and MEMF_PUBLIC ORed in...although this is not
currently used for anything.]

                             LaMonte Koop
 Internet: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com         ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
           UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
 "It's a dog-eat-dog world...and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear"--Norm