[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Does ARP have problems?

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (03/08/91)

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:

>    ARP is *BROKEN*.  It has *so* many bugs that it is impossible to
>    get around them.  DO NOT USE ARP.  At the very least, do not use
>    ARPs Execute replacement or Execute() patch (and if ARP has a C:RUN
>    replacement, *don't* use that either!)

Uh, excuse me?  Matt is sort of like an E.F. Hutton of the Amiga.  When Matt
says something like this, it tends to make me worry.  Should I be chucking
ARP off my hard drive and resorting back to official Commodore commands?
--

  "This special edition of The Gulf War will continue after these messages."
                                                                    -ABC

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.201652.27356@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>
>>    ARP is *BROKEN*.	It has *so* many bugs that it is impossible to
>>    get around them.	DO NOT USE ARP.  At the very least, do not use
>>    ARPs Execute replacement or Execute() patch (and if ARP has a C:RUN
>>    replacement, *don't* use that either!)
>
>Uh, excuse me?  Matt is sort of like an E.F. Hutton of the Amiga.  When Matt
>says something like this, it tends to make me worry.  Should I be chucking
>ARP off my hard drive and resorting back to official Commodore commands?
>--

    The main problem appears to be with ARP's C:RUN and, apparently it
    has an Execute() patch which is also broken.

    While I like the idea of ARP as a whole, it has only caused me problems
    in the past, and perhaps a quarter of all the bug reports I get from
    people relating to various projects (AmigaUUCP, DICE) are due to their
    running ARP and incompatibilities due to that.  I also have noticed
    that my Amiga is quite a bit MORE reliable if I do not use *any* ARP
    commands, and that is important to me.

    So, that's my personal experience.

					-Matt
--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (03/10/91)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:

>>    ARP is *BROKEN*.  It has *so* many bugs that it is impossible to
>>    get around them.  DO NOT USE ARP.  At the very least, do not use
>>    ARPs Execute replacement or Execute() patch (and if ARP has a C:RUN
>>    replacement, *don't* use that either!)

>Uh, excuse me?  Matt is sort of like an E.F. Hutton of the Amiga.  When Matt
>says something like this, it tends to make me worry.  Should I be chucking
>ARP off my hard drive and resorting back to official Commodore commands?
>--

>  "This special edition of The Gulf War will continue after these messages."
>                                                                    -ABC
>Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

If my memory serves me correctly, SKsh uses arp as it's command executor,
and Matt's shell has a popular version which uses arp...
Sure, it has bugs, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "unusable" or "don't use it"

The only problems I have had with arp is that the assign command sometimes
won't assign (on 1 meg chip, no fast machines) and a couple of commands
behave differently in scripts with weird redirection.  The big problem
is that the command launcher parts (ASyncRun, arun, etc) wont work under
2.0 (ever seen FIREWORKS_DISPLAY_MODE ?) because the dos process structure
is different..

It is interesting to note that almost **EVERYTHING** in arp is now in 2.0
somewhere.. The requesters and pattern matching are in dos and asl.library,
SybcRun and ASyncRun have close equivalents in 2.0 dos,  all the packet
routines, device node handlers, etc etc.. are in dos 2.0, the 32 bit
multiply and divide are in utility.library (I think..)  The only thing that
is missing (that I know about..) is the arp CloseWindowSafely() routine.
The GADS argument parser is (sort of..) in dos 2.0.

There are so many similar or identical routines in 2.0 that I half wrote
an arp emulator library that took arp.libraries place and transferred
the calls to the new routines.  In half an hour I had half of arp
re-implemented under 2.0 but my sea-crate hard drive had a severe head
crash a few days later....

My advice is: If it works for you then use it!  Don't ditch it because
somebody else doesn't like it.  I think you would find 1.3 cli commands
and shell a shock to the system after using the arp equivalents.

--
Peter Wemm
peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (if fails, try peter@cutmcvax.oz.au)

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (03/12/91)

In article <dillon.4875@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>In article <1991Mar7.201652.27356@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>>dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>
>>>    ARP is *BROKEN*.	It has *so* many bugs that it is impossible to
>>>[..]
>>
>>Uh, excuse me?  Matt is sort of like an E.F. Hutton of the Amiga.  When Matt
>>[..]
>
>[..]
>
>    While I like the idea of ARP as a whole, it has only caused me problems
>    in the past, and perhaps a quarter of all the bug reports I get from
>    people relating to various projects (AmigaUUCP, DICE) are due to their
>    running ARP and incompatibilities due to that.  I also have noticed
>    that my Amiga is quite a bit MORE reliable if I do not use *any* ARP
>    commands, and that is important to me.
>
>    So, that's my personal experience.

But the ARP commands have one great advantage. Wildcard expansions are
sorted. That makes it very easy for me to join files part01..partNN in
the correct order by simply giving the command:

JOIN FILE?? AS BIGFILE

How do I do that with standard AmigaDOS commands? How about:

LIST FILE?? LFORMAT "JOIN %s AS BIGFILE" | SO..  Oops, no pipes.

I'll try again:

LIST >t:tempfile FILE?? LFORMAT "JOIN %s AS BIGFILE"
SORT t:tempfile t:tempfile2
EXECUTE t:tempfile2
DELETE t:tempfile
DELETE t:tempfile2

I also like that I can do:

RENAME *.c as old*.c

>					-Matt

/Mikael

--

 \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
  V                           | micke@slaka.sirius.se
  |      Absolut Software     | micke@slaka.UUCP
 ~~~                          | {mcvax,seismo}!sunic!liuida!slaka!micke

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (03/13/91)

In article <peter.668567930@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au> peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) writes:
>It is interesting to note that almost **EVERYTHING** in arp is now in 2.0
>somewhere.

	Except for command-line unnamed pipes, like:

		$ info | sort | more

This is the only reason I am still using the ARP Shell rather than the
CBM shell.  If I had to choose one more feature for the CBM shell, this
would be it.  Even MS-DOG has this syntax (yes, I know that it doesn't
implement real pipes).

>My advice is: If it works for you then use it!  Don't ditch it because
>somebody else doesn't like it.

	I haven't noticed any problems with using ARP 1.3, and I've used it
daily for well over a year.  But I don't do much script writing.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/13/91)

In article <7750@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <peter.668567930@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au> peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) writes:
>>It is interesting to note that almost **EVERYTHING** in arp is now in 2.0
>>somewhere.
>
> 	Except for command-line unnamed pipes, like:
>
> 		$ info | sort | more
>
> This is the only reason I am still using the ARP Shell rather than the
> CBM shell.  If I had to choose one more feature for the CBM shell, this
> would be it.  Even MS-DOG has this syntax (yes, I know that it doesn't
> implement real pipes).

I've pretty well tossed ARP, but I keep RENAME around (rename without
real wildcards is about as useful as a leaky boat in a hurricane).

>>My advice is: If it works for you then use it!  Don't ditch it because
>>somebody else doesn't like it.

Agreed, I never noticed specific problems with ARP, but I had a lot of
otherwise untracable errors go away when I got rid of it.

I don't really blame this on ARP.  The BCPLish world of pre-2.0 CLI
DOS is quirky enough to give anyone fits.

> 	I haven't noticed any problems with using ARP 1.3, and I've used it
> daily for well over a year.  But I don't do much script writing.
Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  mgooderum	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/15/91)

>In article <2147@public.BTR.COM> thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
[...]
>Hmmm, wondering about all the recent flak over HandShake 2.20c, I recovered
>it from floppy (after doing "CLI> delete hand#?" earlier), and noticed that
>it (using the ARTM monitor ... great program, by the way) was the ONLY thing
>on my system bringing in the ARP library.  And HandShake 2.20c is the ONLY
>thing on my system(s) that causes a guru without undue provocation.
>
>Are we "on" to something here?  Just curious.

I don't really think so... I normally run my Amiga without rebooting, and
it lasts about a week at a time. I run ARP, GCC, SAS/C, and AmigaUUCP 1.06D
all the time. I have identified three things that cause me to reboot:
Handshake 2.12 when I try to 7-bit kermit to a host that uses mark parity,
VT100 'hanging' when the CPU is busy during a kermit transfer, and the
SoundTracker/NoiseTracker module players that fragment chip ram ferociously.

If I could find a good reliable term program with a decent kermit and
Zmodem as good as JRComm's that wouldn't crash, I'd be a long way towards
making my system more reliable. Right now I use VLT, JRComm, VT100, and
HandShake 2.12, because none of them do everything that I need reliably.

I have also yet to find a ST/NT module player that will work without hosing
my system occasionally. They all seem to be written in 68000 assembler
by people who like to beat on the hardware.

But no, I use ARP extensively; I have automated most of the routine
maintenance of my system with scripts that use ARP features (things
like $() replacement, extended regular expressions, and unnamed pipes),
and did not notice a degradation in reliability. I'd really like to
iron out the bugs with terminal programs and music players, so I would
have a completely reliable system.

I am sick of programs that:
1) 'Hang' for no apparent reason.
2) GURU without being tortured.
3) Fragment chip memory to the point where the largest available chunk
   is 16 bytes, normally shortly followed by a graphics.library GURU due
   to lack of "emergency memory".

The ARP shell doesn't seem to give me the problems that other people
describe. For instance, I've heard many people complain that the Lattice
and SAS/C installation scripts break under ASH. Every update, and the
original script, has worked just fine for me. I don't have any idea what
I've installed differently with my ASH. I do use CONMAN for a pipe handler.

>Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

Thad: I *loathe* Seagate also. Keep up the good publicity :-)

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/15/91)

In article <dillon.4875@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
> [...]
>    While I like the idea of ARP as a whole, it has only caused me problems
>    in the past, and perhaps a quarter of all the bug reports I get from
>    people relating to various projects (AmigaUUCP, DICE) are due to their
>    running ARP and incompatibilities due to that.  I also have noticed
>    that my Amiga is quite a bit MORE reliable if I do not use *any* ARP
>    commands, and that is important to me.
> [...]

And that is important to me, too.

In article <micke.5280@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:

>But the ARP commands have one great advantage. Wildcard expansions are
>sorted. That makes it very easy for me to join files part01..partNN in
>the correct order by simply giving the command:
>
>JOIN FILE?? AS BIGFILE
>
>How do I do that with standard AmigaDOS commands? How about:

Well, to do it a simple way, you need 2.0, but then it may go like this:
TYPE >BIGFILE FILE??

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/17/91)

>In article <1991Mar17.214701.5045@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
[...]
>I also use ARP (except a few commands like their run) and love it.  I seldom
>reboot my computer, and have only found one thing that will crash it reliably.
>-- flipping between screens when two of them are interlaced.  I can flip
>between shells and numerous multitasking programs quickly all day long, but
>the minute two of them are interlaced (like PageStream and VLT) one of the
>sceens will probably be interpreted as a Workbench resolution screen after
>one of the flips and the Amiga will hang.  It doesn't matter what the high-res
>programs are.

This is a bug in the intuition makevport call. I'll include a uuencoded
zoo file of the source, documentation, and executable of a tiny patch that
fixes it right up at the end of this posting. Before I applied this patch,
VLT would crash on me all the time.

>>If I could find a good reliable term program with a decent kermit and
>>Zmodem as good as JRComm's that wouldn't crash, I'd be a long way towards
>>making my system more reliable. Right now I use VLT, JRComm, VT100, and
>
> What's wrong with VLT?  I use Zmodem and Kermit daily and love it!

VLT's kermit does not work well with 7-bit binary transfers on a 7-bit
mark parity channel. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. The only
kermit that I've found that works right with my host is an ancient buggy
version of VT100. Also, you do have to admit that VLT's user interface is
not as nice as that of JRComm (neither is the Zmodem support). I use VLT
when I need Tek 4105 psuedo emulation (which I do occasionally).

>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

begin 777 mvp_patch.zoo
M6D]/(#(N,# @07)C:&EV92X:  #<I\3]*@   -;___\"  $J       !W*?$X
M_0(!*@$  ($   ">%"-N?5?$    J0    $           !-86ME5E!O<BYTX
M7U  &@!_F%(0 $UA:V564&]R=%]0871C:    ,!!0    $ I(R@   $ &#!/X
MH$&! 0XJ%(A"X(!T!E&PP . P!!]  PY<>4/C0H@9@C H>"D#H,V $@ H, &X
M"!P4(G@8#+#QGPX4(!6(:++1GQ@X"DH&P>A"!).7&_M!JLEG)P@^_Z*B ,$ X
M"Z">7%!<=?7/SLZ>/P&4/(CD'  &*I(DT?>/'@HJ3BC!: $ ! *!#<X0$()2X
M Y-O,,36.2,G#!PT:<;,<<$FC9C"<O(L'" O(-RGQ/T" ;T&  "% 0  GA0"X
M<<B!^@T  #@%   !            36%K9590;W(N87-M !X ?SF@% !-86MEX
M5E!O<G1?4&%T8V@N87-M    P$%     0"DC*   %8  H:*'P8,($RI<R+"AX
MPX<(50@D.+"B18M-PJPI8P7*&SETOD )0V<,&A M6H 86?)D&!!BZIP!D<8-X
MB(P;.WZD<[%G18D#"T(<2K1H4: 4?2H=..0-G#QRTIQ!PQ/%F!0@8N3( >-FX
M&) U05 )DX8-FS)FRLA9JA2I"K9+FSZ-.K7JU:Q;NTIY(T8MSREASLX),P>NX
M3[>&$X,(8A:$%*E4"TLI,T>MG3)D%,-U:[2SY\^(+UI1.R?-&S<ZLKKH6G$&X
MC!9!X,AIP17C5SIAQY8]FW:MYI\3WUX<@B:,FS.44S^A6S/P[^>*.7^>3KVAX
MQ(F*:XYA4X=,&1 BRN I,^8%G3QP*+M((P)[8NW<O8,73_X%FS1BY'Q-HYZ]X
M>\/P=?==>..5UT89;7R4QWKM_0<7'G*@!<(73%CQQ!-LD/%$>FXP@9]^<N3AX
M(%L02DBAA4.P\49E'N;WE8B_E6C&A!4^,449=!A1AQMCX';:B$O)2*.%.''DX
M$4A *B7DB4\PIN(832"8I$]+UBA7'E&V,65/55IHQ$=BI$'&EA=U^004:K61X
M!AT*M#E$$$PP@5$00TCQ1$4\Z,BCCVY\X408!_H I!IS^%81DUS$@$(0-J0 X
M9!%.$-%$FPI,D<<<0A#VW4!%1%&%%(O9H, 19N"1:645=?KI8C4HP)))67+JX
M*:A!T. J229-D88>WZD* @TPM E=3TT\84410;@@)PTL6(JIIL(.:Q$3R%Y$X
M*AY_'H@"%$.DP$(0,9!IV)MQ6H2AAARV""*,TE94[+'*#D0$#"Q<>VH9XL(EX
MA!-%N#!%11N6X09FUT;;[DW&=EK1"#+0.^]%.X PQAMU9 B"&V_PY)3 (-PGX
M!@L@Q%''FOFR)0454[09\,!D7)M:8D,T 84+5RP\@PTL,)&$$%\<*\4423SAX
M! KV:NKHP0,)<42__S*E8F77#A2Q&6F,EUE85MP,@G&9A6$&'6J!/,<;()!QX
MV@D\P8$K&@:W^Z[" XWP*AJZ\LK"O"4O]7:\((S01!%-&"%2%4+H/,3=X2(-X
M KER5N3D&U!*J?C>C<_+PMQ9YJW4ODQ7=$3&F6ON$^4#%5W9MS% ?#'9![8AX
M-MDBDZPXXQ:EN&(9ZKXH.K$)1[%P# X'J_C)*8\*.H(O:T9M$!?-W91WVW;[X
MK?!(D[[2VEFBOOM%;_L>]]QUEW$W]0?37M&5H<\.9^,#?2E'F&-NCU'"?)LNX
M/KCRNTM_XR,P6:1.()E>_@9B/<PA:'P#7 P1B! %OHV 67A37[DJ<J,<[:A'X
MIG%# JUGN6UA#T&.2J#Y!H(F.:B)30JP'=1*E3S#6,]^VI,@^Q;W--Q]2'>3X
MZ]W"@I= XE'*>6_P3@O90H0A\&T@Y'-;PIH0KUJ]( @U8$$+%G6#HU5O?P,!X
MU[=JH)2(01$$Q2F,'>"PDP0NKWEK>UX9HN>M6H' BS0 (V% H+:6;(T,9)##X
M!K$(@D71H(UQ5)V*PI"9"#GG?T?B"2'SF$ E3 %4%O$C5KI8-K(9D@U>R4DBX
M]PBOFH& ! U;5 V\]3"I@0" =#A!8:S GSLT(8B42: 04$8%BXR !$08GT\BX
M9A+RK.&44/@"$I) A"+(LE/^2A4>UC0WBT0,8SRI#!U>!P(S? 0Y/)$=TH; X
M!"G0K"(DB$$01#E)9X) FB @ A+* !F>T(%L] (!'="0AL+44YYH^$X;PG"&X
M-(PA!&TJPC+I,+<AZFV)\:)B"E;P+1K IE7#0QFEKI6M[Q31!4( P0G.H!\XX
MT',,<W"!Q]9U A8$*R  W*?$_0(!]@T  !@'  ">%/MR59P,"P  W@8   $ X
M          !-86ME5E!O<BYD;V, '@!_6%04 $UA:V564&]R=%]0871C:"YDX
M;V,   # 04    ! *2,H   5" 1!L*#!@P@--@FSIHP5*&_DT/D")0R=,6A X
M6(GA @;!&3!:!($CIT4.& H2&ASR!DX>.6G.H*$# L68%"!BY#@)0LH;,64DX
M@I@2ADV9.6'FL  1A V;GC%GSNEY-*B=,F12J@3!TB5,F31MXM3)<Z'$-&Y X
M4 F3QFD9,T&7-GTJ)2J=J5*JRKF:U2 5-&FFSGECALZ=,'+*@( 39LR:,&<4X
MMPF3!P10$&82EV%3.3&9P'1@BJE#!VO-.644CWGCYC.=-*RG F7SYDX*@;BWX
MZD[8]:5=$&%:@R 2> P;MFV":MW-'$2/Y]"C2Y\.72"5-'2,@J#S9CM@P80-X
M(U8<G QPIR!6PTESU'O0,H1!))Z,%L35.:7-UZ>#ACQI-!'-H0!:GXUAD6G[X
M]0><&&]<E5Y+OH$%@AMOO#9&&2X0A,0;;) 1U%3Q\1<8"(,5=EABP"6FP!ERX
M!)>?>_+]QIU\99#T!AEU7 B<<'6@!B-2R6$6T6(?LE;44A2ZT<)J;20GQQAIX
M%*4 ''7( <<;J,V1(5/H5=B?'#&"-=5X-**V%U8N".3$$ST5 84414Q1A!-4X
M!$%%$D\X,04(3T@!PA5!2"%%$'0F$2=3<(+01!!$%/%G$E0@T>844!0Q!!5JX
ML1FIHT$,,405@PZ1!0L*P,E$$D$(D<2I5(P*0J52&-'GHDX,4<12??()JYUXX
M.L&G$6HAD<2>4SQA!!6 PBF7$T0PQ0030U4QA*15R G"L K8"4(63X#*YQ6^X
M2C'L$EMNRE05D?:Y)Q%LKHEI$%-,4443G#J1Q:10Y#E%$JJR>F^?"IR:ZJJ0X
MWGL%$G866X051?AY!:22PDFII9A2P2:WWE;KJ+'!#CN4L<@&6D2:"OPU8HGBX
MH<B88Y!)1IEEBGV&GVBDF999:IPM)D>#:7AH'H68I0;"B(G%44<:GBG@95#>X
M!0="<I^% <*0H04W1QN!S0%;6JOAIR4(1@R)EM%(LS=58F<@]ID;9SS89%!0X
M2MEC>R%^1V)X)Y:QU&INT-$8'3H,I"ABKZ6U5EM&P26'5C',8,-P[1F1F!M'X
M:=4$:Z&5<20(4=11!E!C:#4$H8P&41 2,0B1$Q8X"$Y%$= :I ,(-<1 PPLVX
MT!!2#3?,0(-6JF)QT.Q7250&'EHE06?#3A1!Q>R3G=4W$'#T[<+H3;C0YQ'6X
M*3A8E3JNYN%VW8D(GHED3E;997.;-Z.'5]$&A]M.QOU41 HDN>0;;S\9Y5,HX
MRYN0P,0?Q00!:VG+D!.ZPX8T8,UOKXG-U-)B/A#,+46*<>"54$,&DBVG.<U)X
M0M^"<AP=36$,FDF+$.IPA@^"<#?4B:%TNO>>H8W),BP<&@45=)C*\,<B(%A"X
M&AR#'\+EQ 4RF!J8.#(#$*"A/-J1&M;P,#4S@*"$Y&E-_EC3 BR2"(6I<<-4X
M[@ 8C*0G#'.;2@%)E ?\E*$-Y+OB&QQC03B4RVY/A ,<RB#&I['%#3DC(Q\5X
MD(<WU,&)87"081C8&,7, 8Q\')-P6*,8_7GQD2G<TA7ZDY9"'M(,#9P??W;&X
MPHP4L VD\B0&+6-(X<R(-HZI@R@5-!F,H 5#:K';:-JF/A)5R0R-! Y-BE>9X
M.E .#WL<0WX4T ;^\?$N.S*/@2ZHRE>^ 4N.="8([A"1-7CPA>!<2$,>$A&:X
M5.0B:' A.'4CP^G0$(=M&Q$L#V2>.V ',#M4#(O" (<R3J6!8FB1'/)P@JF(X
MTR$0D0@*<$+*PF%( 0<EIT0H8A$SKD8.B5&F&A5D(S$8I0TDBVA")W).,XY(X
M:L0DT6308Z-]PI&,0\R(@=+"FIQ=1@[&Q,S.X+C&(9PJ0TF@PX!D<Q2:P &+X
M^NFD(<%41(G(L@6H,1H?+Y2A3?*11'XS'AF6LL:6M@B.:"FB4P2$G:DP!ITZX
M_%$;2P/'\H#@>*!1RA4U9P>TM*VK%<U(?9+3S(%FZ"_D::8Q:4(89KXQ(ITIX
M ]D\$T< =0A&9S4IB !9&=U9)@^ED2M,S9@<JX% E3,%CAW>T#-"+A4U;+"BX
MU&A#6"N&QI >58P9AI32!M(A.ZK!$AU"RA"$EI.B:'WB5)JX0:W%EBNGHA$=X
MJI06.Q3%<W,(W <] H(6M  $"Y3#2LM4!S;082EE(*:(V,:G)7PP!AZQ+G:[X
MPU?$QK$H\RP-9//Z01FD][HLZ>[/*C2U/>83!/OLYQ#_F8: (B8/ @FJ#9T8X
ME9P9LX$-R=D/:2+2WY8T(_9$#S#;\E>.YG6;B)L0?X&B 'X>E3WZL:(GP51+X
M?&;P;,9T@UV#.,0U-'68']H:40LI'"9V>$0C(@,E%0 Z-/IHC;M<,(6,FAC4X
M]"VM!?21$(F851S+06NQ25-  -RGQ/T"                            X
>                                     /R#X
end

--

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (03/17/91)

In Message-ID: <2147@public.BTR.COM>
          thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) said:
>Hmmm, wondering about all the recent flak over HandShake 2.20c, I recovered
>it from floppy (after doing "CLI> delete hand
>it (using the ARTM monitor ... great program, by the way) was the ONLY thing
>on my system bringing in the ARP library.  And HandShake 2.20c is the ONLY
>thing on my system(s) that causes a guru without undue provocation.
>
>Are we "on" to something here?  Just curious.
Doubtfull.  The only part of ARP that Handshake uses is the file requester.
The major problems that people have been having with Handshake is with XPR's
especially Zmodem.

For the record, here's another handshake bug that's been there since at least
1.60b..   Under very low memory conditions or heavy fragmentation, try to open
the phonebook.  LOCKUP.  No messages, no guru.  No problems with the rest of
the system but now you have a large application dead in the water, eating
memory. For those of us with only 1 meg, the only real option is a three finger
salute.

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (03/18/91)

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (03/18/91)

In article <962@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <micke.5280@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>
>>But the ARP commands have one great advantage. Wildcard expansions are
>>sorted. That makes it very easy for me to join files part01..partNN in
>>the correct order by simply giving the command:
>>
>>JOIN FILE?? AS BIGFILE
>>
>>How do I do that with standard AmigaDOS commands? How about:
>
>Well, to do it a simple way, you need 2.0, but then it may go like this:
>TYPE >BIGFILE FILE??

Ok, let's try it.

Courtesy of Snap:

1.Home:2.0/commodities/moonmouse> version
Kickstart version 36.143. Workbench version 36.68
1.Home:2.0/commodities/moonmouse> echo >file02 Two
1.Home:2.0/commodities/moonmouse> echo >file01 One
1.Home:2.0/commodities/moonmouse> TYPE >BIGFILE FILE??
1.Home:2.0/commodities/moonmouse> type bigfile
Two
One
1.Home:2.0/commodities/moonmouse>

Nope. Close but no cigar. Thanks for playing.

>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

/Mikael

--

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.214701.5045@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>reboot my computer, and have only found one thing that will crash it reliably.
>-- flipping between screens when two of them are interlaced.  I can flip
>between shells and numerous multitasking programs quickly all day long, but
>the minute two of them are interlaced (like PageStream and VLT) one of the
>sceens will probably be interpreted as a Workbench resolution screen after
>one of the flips and the Amiga will hang.  It doesn't matter what the high-res
>programs are.

Ahh, this is an old bug under 1.x, this little uuencoded patch
will fix things right up for you:
--- cut here ---
begin 777 MakeVPort_Patch
M```#\P`````````!```````````````H```#Z0```"@L>``$0_H`ADZN_F@JJ
M0&8$<!1.=0QM`"0`%&Q`<"@B/`````%.KO\Z*$!F"B)-3J[^8G`*3G5!^@`N#
M(DQP*$ZN_9!.KO]\(DT@?/___R@@#%B`3J[^7"B`3J[_=B)-3J[^8G``3G4`G
M````2.<`#"I)2?K_]"A43I0P+0`@"```#6<$0FT`&DS?,`!.=6=R87!H:6-SW
0+FQI8G)A<GD````````#\I0P<
``
end
--- end here ---

>--
>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/19/91)

In article <2147@public.BTR.COM>, thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
> Hmmm, wondering about all the recent flak over HandShake 2.20c, I recovered
> it from floppy (after doing "CLI> delete hand#?" earlier), and noticed that
> it (using the ARTM monitor ... great program, by the way) was the ONLY thing
> on my system bringing in the ARP library.  And HandShake 2.20c is the ONLY
> thing on my system(s) that causes a guru without undue provocation.
>
> Are we "on" to something here?  Just curious.

Handshake only brings in the library if you select ARP file requester (and use
it). You don't "need" arp library to use handshake. Believe me, though,
Handshake 2.20c crashes all by itself... doesn't need any help from arp. By the
way, in the wake of all this flak about arp, I should comment that I have used
it exclusively since the most recent version was released, and it makes life in
CLI a lot easier than the original commands... whatall with pipes and
redirection and stuff. I believe incompatibilities exist but I have never
personally experienced one.. I'll take a chance for the added convenience.
--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy@WESLEYAN.BITNET