[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] DevWare

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (03/14/91)

In article <dillon.5017@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US
>In article <504d6bb5.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moy
>>I just picked up the DICE compiler and environment, having
>>ordered it from DevWare.  Any others using DICE?  Any words of
>>wisdom on getting the most out of it?
>
>    W H A T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!	You *ordered* DICE from DevWare?  Just how
>    much did they charge?  If DevWare is charging anything beyond the cost
>    of disks for it they are doing so illegally, I never gave them
>    permission to sell DICE.  If they are selling the registered version
>    instead of the freely distributable version then they are in *major*
>    trouble, as in a lawsuite.

Yeah, its a bummer. I've heard, but have not verified, that DevWare is selling
Amiga Empire as well. Probably Draco too. Could someone out there who deals
with them post information about just what they are doing? My understanding
is that there are a number of outfits, both in North America and Europe, that
sell PD and shareware software. You'd think that they would at least ask the
authors, especially of major items, or perhaps send token contributions.

--
Chris Gray   alberta!ami-cg!cg	 or   cg%ami-cg@scapa.cs.UAlberta.CA

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (03/20/91)

In article <cg.7232@ami-cg.UUCP> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>In article <dillon.5017@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US
>>In article <504d6bb5.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moy
>>>I just picked up the DICE compiler and environment, having

    ok, I talked with DevWare and it turns out to be O.K. .. they were
    selling the *freeware* DICE for a little above my $5 limit but that
    isn't a problem. They were also just beginning to go through retailers
    but since they would not be able to really control the end-user price
    we agreed that DICE should only be distributed mail-order.

    The only other problem was that they had a very old version of the
    freeware DICE distribution!  I'm sending them the latest freeware
    dist :-)	It was a pleasant conversation.

					    -Matt

>--
>Chris Gray   alberta!ami-cg!cg  or   cg%ami-cg@scapa.cs.UAlberta.CA

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon