[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Hard drive recovery

lhotka@incstar.uucp (03/19/91)

Well, my luck finally ran out I guess...  After several years with no real
hard drive problems, Handshake 2.20c finally did in one of my partitions...

Just at the beginning of a download (as it was opening the output file I
assume), the Amiga crashed and when it tried to reboot it found that DH0:
needed validation.  About 3-5 seconds after beginning hard drive access the
Amiga gurued...  This happens every time it tries to access DH0:

I used DiskSalv with the 'NODOS' option to recover all the information onto
DH1:, so I have all the data that was on the drive, but my problem is that
I can't get DH0: back...  The Amiga FORMAT command accesses DH0: and 3-5
seconds later - GURU  DiskDoctor, FixDisk and DiskSalv (w/o the 'NODOS'
option) do the same thing, so unless they have switches I am missing they
won't help me...

Is there a way to solve this without doing a low level format of the entire
drive?  Thanks for any help!!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (03/21/91)

In article <2614.27e5cb62@incstar.uucp>, lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:

> [...], the Amiga crashed and when it tried to reboot it found that DH0:
> needed validation.  About 3-5 seconds after beginning hard drive access the
> Amiga gurued...  This happens every time it tries to access DH0:

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with a FFS partition. I took
an older version of the FastFileSystem: ffs 36.35 (20 Sep 1990) and
rebooted. After I was able to access the partition without hanging
or guruing, so format!
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/

Jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) (03/22/91)

In article <2614.27e5cb62@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:

>I used DiskSalv with the 'NODOS' option to recover all the information onto
>DH1:, so I have all the data that was on the drive, but my problem is that
>I can't get DH0: back...  The Amiga FORMAT command accesses DH0: and 3-5
>seconds later - GURU  DiskDoctor, FixDisk and DiskSalv (w/o the 'NODOS'
>option) do the same thing, so unless they have switches I am missing they
>won't help me...

I can think of a couple of ways:

1) Corrupt the first sector of the disk.  If ADOS doesn't see
   DOS\0 or DOS\1 in the first four bytes, it won't look at
   the rest of the disk.  It'll just say NDOS.

2) Write a quick and dirty program to send an inhibit packet
   to the filesystem.  Mount and then send this message before
   the system has a chance to crash.

3) Rename the disk validator so it can't run.

>Is there a way to solve this without doing a low level format of the entire
>drive?  Thanks for any help!!
>/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
>| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
>| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
>\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
> -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

--

 |_o_o|\\
 |. o.| || The           Jay Denebeim
 | .  | ||  Software
 | o  | ||   Distillery
 |    |//        Address: UUCP:     mcnc.org!deepthot.uucp!jay
 ======                   Internet: jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us
                 BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934