[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Intuition bug

jdresser@altair.uucp (Jay Dresser) (03/14/91)

(Here's a copy of a message I sent to CBM)

As long as you're releasing a new version of the operating system, I
thought I might tell you about a nifty bug that I discovered some years
ago.  Since it's so obvious, and easy to invoke, I assumed that you
already knew about it.  But my friends think you may not, so to be safe
I'll tell you.

It's the "drag the window off the screen" bug.  By using nothing more
than the normal Intuition controls, you can make the windows drag off
the screen and, if you do it right, meet the guru.

All you do is this:

Place the mouse over the dragbar of any window (I've only tried this
with WorkBench, but I assume it would work with other screens).  Click
and hold the left mouse button down.  While holding the mouse button
down, press left-Amiga-N or -M.  Nothing appears to change, but you can
now drag the window off the screen.  Moving left and right you will see
the edge that went off the screen wrap around to the other side.  In
most cases you can drag it back onto the screen and release the mouse
button without harm.  If you drag off the top or bottom, you will trash
the memory lists and crash the machine immediately.

Pretty neat, huh?  No special code, nothing fancy, just the keyboard
and mouse.  Works every time.  It seems to me like it's something that
shouldn't be allowed, so I hope you can fix this before the next
release.  Happy bug hunting!

Jay Dresser, jdresser@Tymnet.com

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (03/14/91)

In article <225@tymix.Tymnet.COM> jdresser@altair.Tymnet.com (Jay Dresser) writes:
>(Here's a copy of a message I sent to CBM)
>
>As long as you're releasing a new version of the operating system, I
>thought I might tell you about a nifty bug that I discovered some years
>ago.  Since it's so obvious, and easy to invoke, I assumed that you
>already knew about it.  But my friends think you may not, so to be safe
>I'll tell you.
>
>It's the "drag the window off the screen" bug.  By using nothing more
>than the normal Intuition controls, you can make the windows drag off
>the screen and, if you do it right, meet the guru.
>
>All you do is this:
>
>Place the mouse over the dragbar of any window (I've only tried this
>with WorkBench, but I assume it would work with other screens).  Click
>and hold the left mouse button down.  While holding the mouse button
>down, press left-Amiga-N or -M.  Nothing appears to change, but you can
>now drag the window off the screen.  Moving left and right you will see
>the edge that went off the screen wrap around to the other side.  In
>most cases you can drag it back onto the screen and release the mouse
>button without harm.  If you drag off the top or bottom, you will trash
>the memory lists and crash the machine immediately.
>
>Pretty neat, huh?  No special code, nothing fancy, just the keyboard
>and mouse.  Works every time.  It seems to me like it's something that
>shouldn't be allowed, so I hope you can fix this before the next
>release.  Happy bug hunting!
>
>Jay Dresser, jdresser@Tymnet.com

FYI I can't duplicate using 1.3 . Can you provide version numbers of KS & WB ???

PS: on my machine pressing left-amiga-n causes no apparent change when WB screen is already
in front, but left-amiga-m causes WB screen to scoot to the back(all while left mouse button is
depressed over the WB drag bar). This seems to differ from your statement.

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (03/15/91)

In article <225@tymix.Tymnet.COM> jdresser@altair.Tymnet.com (Jay Dresser) writes:
>It's the "drag the window off the screen" bug.  By using nothing more
>than the normal Intuition controls, you can make the windows drag off
>the screen and, if you do it right, meet the guru.

Pressing Amiga-N or -M during window dragging (or sizing!) to confuse
Intuition into letting you drag the window off screen (or turn it inside-out)
is one of the most amusing bugs that was in 1.3.  It has been fixed
for 2.0.

By the way, it seems that you've set the "followup-to" line to
comp.sys.amiga.tech.  It should go to .programmer instead.

>Jay Dresser, jdresser@Tymnet.com

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (03/16/91)

In article <19855@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Bob Raible - LSI Design writes:

> In article <225@tymix.Tymnet.COM> jdresser@altair.Tymnet.com (Jay Dresser) writes:
> >(Here's a copy of a message I sent to CBM)
> >
> >All you do is this:
> >
> >Place the mouse over the dragbar of any window (I've only tried this
> >with WorkBench, but I assume it would work with other screens).  Click
> >and hold the left mouse button down.  While holding the mouse button
> >down, press left-Amiga-N or -M.  Nothing appears to change, but you can
> >now drag the window off the screen.  Moving left and right you will see
> >the edge that went off the screen wrap around to the other side.  In
>
> FYI I can't duplicate using 1.3 . Can you provide version numbers of KS & WB ???

Works for me. Are you sure you're following the directions?

Grab the scroll bar
whilst grabbed, press Amiga-N

Now move it around. If you're not careful, you meet Mr Guru.

Another one, in a similar vein, is grabbing the window sizing
gadget - make a window about 1/4 size of screen, and centre it.
Then grab the sizing gadget then, without releasing the mouse
button, press Amiga-N (nothing obvious happens), now resize the
window [you didn't release the mouse button did you!], and Tah
Dah!  you can resize it to ANY size (no minimum) - now, resize it
NEGATIVELY, (move mouse above top left corner of window) Let go
of mouse button, and Instant Guru.

I've tested this under 2.0x, and the system no longer lets you do
it. A plus for the team at CATS.

Dac
--

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (03/17/91)

One way to fix the A-M/Drag bar bug on the earlier (non-2.0) OS
versions is to run a workbench hack called "nExt windows" that
causes your windows to be shown when theya re moved (i.e. one
drags the whole window rather than simply the outline).

 OR

Escape, Where's Escape? Goddamn It! I need escape -a student looking
for the escape key at the student computer center at UCSD

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (03/18/91)

In article <17572@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>One way to fix the A-M/Drag bar bug on the earlier (non-2.0) OS
>versions is to run a workbench hack called "nExt windows" that
>causes your windows to be shown when theya re moved (i.e. one
>drags the whole window rather than simply the outline).

I've seen it.  Incredibly slow.  Yuck.

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "Speeding through the
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | universe, Thinking is

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/21/91)

In article <jms.3485@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>I've seen it.  Incredibly slow.  Yuck.

Actually, I think it's pretty slick.  It doesn't hold up the Screen Layer
(permanently, anyway) like Intuition does.  Considering the amount of
trouble *that* implies, I'm not surprised it's slow.  Gee--he's getting
the window to draw directly into the bob -- neat.

It's zippie on my 3000 :) :)

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
Signature erased, because it used to be something snide against the Mac.
undergoing recnstrctn. [Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus]

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/21/91)

In article <12181@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>In article <jms.3485@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>>I've seen it.  Incredibly slow.  Yuck.
>
>Actually, I think it's pretty slick.  It doesn't hold up the Screen Layer
>(permanently, anyway) like Intuition does.  Considering the amount of
>trouble *that* implies, I'm not surprised it's slow.  Gee--he's getting
>the window to draw directly into the bob -- neat.
>
>It's zippie on my 3000 :) :)

  I've missed the rest of this thread, but if your refering to the
NeXTWindows hack for Amiga, it doesn't use a bob, or the blitter. It's
all done through the magic of dual-playfield mode, that's why
text shows through.

>David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
>Signature erased, because it used to be something snide against the Mac.
>undergoing recnstrctn. [Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus]

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\
|n|   rjc@albert.ai.mit.edu   Amiga, the computer for the creative mind.  |n|

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (03/23/91)

)I've tested this under 2.0x, and the system no longer lets you do
)it. A plus for the team at CATS.

CATS is great, but this was my bug and my fix.  (CATS is evangelism and
support, along with some nice tools programming; I worked under contract
for Commodore-Amiga Engineering.)

This must be the 1000th time somebody proudly announced discovering
this bug.  Some bugs haunt you more than others...

	jimm

--
--- opinions expressed herein are my own. ---
"... Because they can."

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) (03/26/91)

I stumbeled upon that "bug" a while ago - though its not that big of a deal
though - how can you do it without "messing around?"  If it does not work for
you, this may be the cause: If you have ClockDJ's screen cycle option
activated, it wont work (probably re-maps the Amiga M/N keys).  I dont know if
this is true for other similar utilities.  Also, if you pull the same trick
while dragging a screen up & down, it allows the mouse to move left & right
while dragging.

  -=+ Steve Krulewitz +=- -=+ Fair Lawn, NJ +=- -=+
                                     UUNET!tronbox!amiglynx!stevek.UUCP +=-