[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] PD Linkers

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/27/91)

>In article <17932@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnettj@pookie.crd.ge.com (Janet A Barnett) writes:
>Does anyone know of a public domain (or other essentially free) Amiga
>Object Module Linker that includes the source code?

At titan.ksc.nasa.gov, there is a PD Amiga linker under development
called FLINK.

>Alternately, is there a linker that supports the EXT_COMMON hunk described
>in the AmigaDOS Tech Ref Man? (Bearing in mind that this is the orignal
>TchRefMan, not the later Bantam version in which this hunk type may
>well have disappeared.)

Yeah, it's the pits that SAS's BLINK doesn't support EXT_COMMON. It was a
cause of much grief for the Amiga GCC port. FLINK should support EXT_COMMON.
It's not finished yet, but the author is looking for feedback on what should
be in a linker. If only there were already a linker that supported EXT_COMMON,
but to the best of my knowledge, ALINK, BLINK, and DLINK do not.

>I tried ALINK from the Workbench 1.2 Autodocs release.  It didn't complain,
>but it didn't appear to do anything either. (I tried it with the MAP option
>to see what it was doing and it hosed my hard disk, thank-you-very-much.)

ALINK seems to be rather broken to put it politely; I could never get it
to work either, although I'm glad that I didn't provoke it into hosing
my hard drive.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

barnettj@pookie.crd.ge.com (Janet A Barnett) (03/27/91)

Does anyone know of a public domain (or other essentially free) Amiga
Object Module Linker that includes the source code?

Alternately, is there a linker that supports the EXT_COMMON hunk described
in the AmigaDOS Tech Ref Man? (Bearing in mind that this is the orignal
TchRefMan, not the later Bantam version in which this hunk type may
well have disappeared.)

I tried ALINK from the Workbench 1.2 Autodocs release.  It didn't complain,
but it didn't appear to do anything either. (I tried it with the MAP option
to see what it was doing and it hosed my hard disk, thank-you-very-much.)

AB