[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Dir listings in AmigaVision

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (03/25/91)

   I've got an AmigaVision programming problem for you clever heads :-)

   For our house presentation system written in AmigaVision, we need to
scan directories for picture files, the intention being that we can update
the presentation just by dropping in more ILBM files.
   It's quite easy to produce the listing we want (List LFormat %s), but
getting the list into AmigaVision variables proves to be quite tricky. Our
imagined strategy is as follows:

    Convert the ASCII file into a database file. Since the data is
guaranteed to be 5 chars/line, it should be quite easy to write a tiny C
program to make this conversion. Anyone out there with pointers towards the
dBaseIII format used by AmigaVision?

   Strange that AV handles dBaseIII but not ASCII files. I suppose this is
what the ARexx port is there to handle.

   Info & Experience will be much appreciated!

                                                 -Henrik
| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (James is just this guy, you know...) (03/27/91)

In article <18e0d74e.ARN1acd@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:

>   I've got an AmigaVision programming problem for you clever heads :-)
>
>   For our house presentation system written in AmigaVision, we need to
>scan directories for picture files, the intention being that we can update
>the presentation just by dropping in more ILBM files.

>    Convert the ASCII file into a database file. Since the data is
>guaranteed to be 5 chars/line, it should be quite easy to write a tiny C
>program to make this conversion. Anyone out there with pointers towards the
>dBaseIII format used by AmigaVision?

                                                 -Henrik
>| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
>| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
>\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

O-tay, here's how I'd go about it...
	Make your list with LIST and LFORMAT likr you were doing. In AV, make
a loop that first uses AREXX to read a line from the listing, then copy that
file to RAM:picture.iff, then, in AV, load picture.iff. Continue with this
until you run out of items in the list, then exit the loop...

	Just and idea...

James D. McIninch
School of Applied Biology
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 31619
Atlanta, Georgia 30332
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt1619a
Internet: gt1619a@prism.gatech.edu
*   The goal: to design CAD/CAM software and hardware for the creation   *
*             of living things...                                        *

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/27/91)

In article <18e0d74e.ARN1acd@adspdk.UUCP>, hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) writes:
>    I've got an AmigaVision programming problem for you clever heads :-)
>
>    For our house presentation system written in AmigaVision, we need to
> scan directories for picture files, the intention being that we can update
> the presentation just by dropping in more ILBM files.
>    It's quite easy to produce the listing we want (List LFormat %s), but
> getting the list into AmigaVision variables proves to be quite tricky. Our
> imagined strategy is as follows:
>
>     Convert the ASCII file into a database file. Since the data is
> guaranteed to be 5 chars/line, it should be quite easy to write a tiny C
> program to make this conversion. Anyone out there with pointers towards the
> dBaseIII format used by AmigaVision?
>
>    Strange that AV handles dBaseIII but not ASCII files. I suppose this is
> what the ARexx port is there to handle.
>
>    Info & Experience will be much appreciated!

There is a package available from Lattice called the DBC III library.  This
library will allow you to create & manage a dbase III type database.  This
should be the ticket.

It does seem to be one of AmigaVision's most apparent flaw.  I wish that
they would add the ability to read straight ASCII files and load variables.

>                                                  -Henrik
> | Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
> | ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |

 -mark=