[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] HELP: Reading chars from a CLI

slmt9@cc.usu.edu (03/26/91)

	Hello to all of the programmers out there. I need some help and once
again welcome any and all help on this subject. Even if it is just look at the
source to a file called ******* on FF???. Infact this is mostly what I would
like.

	Now what I need. I need to be able to enter some strings from a window
that I have created. I have tried String gadgets but they are just not what I
need. I need to be able to enter two string but have not been able to do it.
I have the source to a few editors that floated around awhile ago. But I have
not been able to straighten them out enough. What I have come up with is that
I need to use the Console.Device and attach some read and write ports to the
window. I did this and it lets me move the cursor around (read some code from
one of the editors lets me do this!! :-) but none of the keys typed comes up
on the screen. Any help from any one at any level would be greatly appriciated.

	Thanks in advance,
	Joshua
	SLMT9@cc.usu.edu

darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar25.165901.47147@cc.usu.edu> slmt9@cc.usu.edu writes:

>I need to use the Console.Device and attach some read and write ports to the
>window. I did this and it lets me move the cursor around (read some code from
>one of the editors lets me do this!! :-) but none of the keys typed comes up
>on the screen. Any help from any one at any level would be greatly appriciated.
>
>	Joshua
>	SLMT9@cc.usu.edu

You may be assuming that whats typed is automatically reflected in the window.
Not so -- you have to read via CMD_READ, massage & interpret that data, and write
text via CMD_WRITE based on what you have read.  As an example, try writing
a little test program which writes (CMD_WRITE) every character received via
CMD_READ.