[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] The DEMO question

smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie (02/18/91)

Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

|  / T | /  Stephen John McGerty           |                     Amiga  // |
|  / | |/   smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie (C.Sci.)  | "Hmm.. No, nothing."    \\//  |
|__________________________________________|_______________________________|

hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie>, smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

Yeah, what _is_ the best demo for the Amiga (say a 500, not a 3000); not
only on technical merit, but also which _looks_ the best, and is the most
impressive; the sort of thing you would sit gawking at for however long?

And... Where can I get it?

H&M
T.

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie> smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

None.

Consider this.  The Atari VCS was designed in the mid 70's (yes, partly
by JM), and is one of the least capable pieces of hardware still sold.
However, even after all this time I still know programmers who are
finding new and improved ways to use that hardware.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : + 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : + 61 2 805-7433

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie> smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

None.

Consider this.  The Atari VCS was designed in the mid 70's (yes, partly
by JM), and is one of the least capable pieces of hardware still sold.
However, even after all this time I still know programmers who are
finding new and improved ways to use that hardware.

If some of the best commercial programmers around cannot use a 6507 with
128 bytes or RAM and 4K/bank ROM carts to "its maximum ability" after 14
years, what chance do you think that anyone is likely to do that on the Amiga?

--

higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.171057.7814@vax1.tcd.ie> hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
$Yeah, what _is_ the best demo for the Amiga (say a 500, not a 3000); not
$only on technical merit, but also which _looks_ the best, and is the most
$impressive; the sort of thing you would sit gawking at for however long?

In my opinion, the best demo for Amigas is RADBOOGIE.  It was a BADGE
Killer demo contest entry a year or so ago.  There are demos which are
more elaborate in terms of graphics but they always require gobs of RAM
and maybe even disk space.  RADBOOGIE is small, elegant, customizable,
and allows me to point out to unbelievers things that ONLY AMIGAS CAN
DO.  Things like smooth flipping of graphics in tons of colors (some
neat copper hack I think), with two layers of overlaid graphics (a
playfield and a bob or gel, is my guess [haven't looked at the source
as you can tell]), and a GREAT audio track.  It runs on an A500 or an
A3000, with CPU-oriented things [a trail of lines with moving end
points] getting faster on the faster CPU.  It also runs fine under 2.0
(the music didn't work at first, but with some help I was able to fix
that, too).

$And... Where can I get it?

BADGE?

$H&M
$T.

	Paul.

[Must disclaim this one...]
Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my
employer.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie> smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

	None yet, I hope!  Otherwise, we cannot look forward to any new
stuff:  the "maximum" has already been done. :-)

	It depends what you mean by "maximum ability".  I mean, if you want
to see an Amiga REALLY RUN FAST, write a tight loop in assembly language!
But this kind of demo doesn't give you much to watch. :-)

	No, you probably are looking for a mind-blowing graphics demo.
Some of the European demos found by FTP on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in the
incoming/amiga directory are pretty impressive.  I also like the graphics
in Shadow of the Beast and Turrican (particularly the big fist in the demo
version).  And the latest version of BLAZEMONGER, of course.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

greendog@max (Michael D Fischer) (02/21/91)

I would have to say (currently) that my favorite demo is "cebit"
by (I think) Red Sector.  It is available on abcfd20 (newxanth)
in /incoming/amiga/DEMOS...  It has GREAT graphics and GREAT sound.
It is made for PAL mode, so if you have the new agnus chip be sure
to switch to pal mode first (assuming you are in the US like me!)
It works on my 3000 also (under 1.3) so that's good also.

Mike
-        Michael D. Fischer       |   greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu   -
-      S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook    |   Michael.Fischer@sunysb.edu        -

smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie (02/21/91)

In article <7607@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie> smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>>Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?
>
> 	None yet, I hope!  Otherwise, we cannot look forward to any new
> stuff:  the "maximum" has already been done. :-)

Good point. As many have already pointed out: Can we ever reach the 'maximum'?

> 	It depends what you mean by "maximum ability".  I mean, if you want
> to see an Amiga REALLY RUN FAST, write a tight loop in assembly language!

_Actuallyyyy_ things run - - --==FASTER >>>  when they are NOT in a tight loop.
For example, say you want to do a task 100 times. Much better to put 10
iterations of the task in a row and loop around _that_ ten times....
I think its 10 cycles for, say, a DBF loop to execute.
100 times : That's 100*10=1000 cycles
10 times : That's 10*10=100 cycles. 900 cycles saving!! (Ok, NotAVeryLongTime)
And remember: Memory is cheap!

> But this kind of demo doesn't give you much to watch. :-)

depends whats in the loop! But nonetheless, point taken.
Actually, if you think about it, the Amiga is always running flat out: It's how
you direct that speed that makes it _seem_ as though its working harder, while
in fact it's working just as hard as it is while busy-waiting.

> 	No, you probably are looking for a mind-blowing graphics demo.
> Some of the European demos found by FTP on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in the
> incoming/amiga directory are pretty impressive.  I also like the graphics
> in Shadow of the Beast and Turrican (particularly the big fist in the demo
> version).  And the latest version of BLAZEMONGER, of course.
>
>                                                         Dan

Thanks Dan but, (wait for it folks.....) Sob..Sob.. I don't have FTP.
Don't worry: I do get demos from a local usergroup called CUGI.
(Commodore Users Group of Ireland; if anyones interested..)
Some of them are amazing! Have you seen the one called 'Mental Hangover'?
It's a _very_ neat piece of programming!

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (02/22/91)

From article <19105@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS):
> In my opinion, the best demo for Amigas is RADBOOGIE.  It was a BADGE
> {stuff deleted to save bandwidth}
> points] getting faster on the faster CPU.  It also runs fine under 2.0
> (the music didn't work at first, but with some help I was able to fix
> that, too).

I have two problems with RadBoogie under 2.0.  The first being that Play simply
refuses to run.  (so much for the soundtrack)  Also, the graphics are wrong.  I
get a vertical bar on the left side of the screen, and frequent horizontal bars
that don't belong there.  (ie, they don't show up under 1.3).

On a related point, does anyone know why Movie won't play the soundtrack when
run from the 2.0 workbench?  It works fine from the 2.0 CLI.

					Firestar

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *

doubt@blackfin.rice.edu (Douglas Benjamin Triggs) (02/22/91)

In article <4545@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) writes:

|> I have two problems with RadBoogie under 2.0.  The first being that Play simply
|> refuses to run.  (so much for the soundtrack)  Also, the graphics are wrong.  I
|> get a vertical bar on the left side of the screen, and frequent horizontal bars
|> that don't belong there.  (ie, they don't show up under 1.3).

You can patch the "play" program (it does the "usual" thing with regards to the
cia timer), but the demo itself seems to be genuinely screwed up in 2.0.

|> On a related point, does anyone know why Movie won't play the soundtrack when
|> run from the 2.0 workbench?  It works fine from the 2.0 CLI.

This is odd.  It works for me [under 2.0 via workbench].  Have you got the
right fields set for the tooltype fields (or whatever they are -- can't recall
name instantaneously) for the icon?  Or are you running without an icon -- if
so, you have to explicitly give it the audio data, just as if it was in the
CLI...

|> *****************************************************************************
|> * Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
|> * ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *
|> *****************************************************************************

doubt

| "If I make it to breakfast, it probably means I haven't gone to sleep yet." |
+------------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------+
|   // Douglas Triggs    |   COMPUTER IS HUNGRY.    |   doubt@owlnet.rice.edu |
| \X/  GM # 8400000E     |       PLEASE FEED.       |         Rice University |
+------------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------+

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie> smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

    You should add "right now" to your sentence. I hope we can't find a
demo that uses the amiga to the max .. yet ! The Amiga is a demo machine,
and that's why it's going to have a long live of demos, and people will
allways find new things to do with it in demos, like for the C64 or the
Atari 800.

     But you can still do a sort of historic of all the best demos on
their times. Like, you start with the original Boing! or the old
Kaleidoskope (remember the fisrt time you saw an Amiga, and it was running
kaleidoskope (-:).... and you can go on.

     Would be interesting to do a sort of historical best of like that.
One demo that just comes to my mind when I try to remember now, is the
disk with all these demos from wild-copper (I think I've seen them
somewhere where you can ftp them).

       The demos from the BADGE contest are usually very good (and you can
find them on fish disks).
       Some people in Europe are demo-collectors, they have hundreds of
disks filled with demos, most of them are totally borring.

       I think user's groups should be a good source for demos.

                   JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (02/23/91)

From article <1991Feb22.071659.26055@rice.edu>, by doubt@blackfin.rice.edu (Douglas Benjamin Triggs):
> You can patch the "play" program (it does the "usual" thing with regards to the
> cia timer), but the demo itself seems to be genuinely screwed up in 2.0.

OK, next question, how?

> |> On a related point, does anyone know why Movie won't play the soundtrack when
> |> run from the 2.0 workbench?  It works fine from the 2.0 CLI.
>
> This is odd.  It works for me [under 2.0 via workbench].  Have you got the
> right fields set for the tooltype fields (or whatever they are -- can't recall
> name instantaneously) for the icon?  Or are you running without an icon -- if
> so, you have to explicitly give it the audio data, just as if it was in the
> CLI...

I'm using the same Icon info that works perfectly well under 1.3.  If I boot
under 1.3, everything works like it should.  But if I boot under 2.0 (which
is what I do the other 99.98% of the time) no audio track.  Everything works
fine if I run from the CLI, but no audio if run from the same icon I use for
1.3.  All the icon's are those that came with the demos.  Is 1.3 possibly
letting me get away with something it shouldn't?

bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) (03/28/91)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

>    They don't get around enough, then. The best I've seen so far has
>    been the Wild Copper disk too.

>    What IS state-of-the-art in terms of effects etc nowadays?

Anarchy has a fairly new demo out that mostly works in NTSC mode and fully
works in PAL mode. It's called System Violation, and you can find it on
ab20.larc.nasa.gov. The sound effects aren't quite synced under NTSC mode.
Unfortunately, European demo coders don't seem to be interested in the
issue of compatibility very much. All that is really necessary is to use
CIA timing when needed and to reduce some of the complexity of certain
areas which depend more upon the longer frame rate of PAL machines. This
demo includes one of the nicest fonts I've ever seen. It's gold and green
and somewhat resembles a circuit board. There is also a very nice

>> +-- Graham Kinsey  IP06106@Portland.CAPS.Maine.edu  P/Link: G KINSEY --+
>--
>*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
>***         "Patterns multiplying, re-direct our view" - Devo.          ***
---
 Shawn L. Baird, bairds@eecs.ee.pdx.edu, Wraith on DikuMUD
 The above message is not licensed by AT&T, or at least, not yet.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (03/29/91)

In article <2109@pdxgate.UUCP> bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) writes:
>jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>
>>    They don't get around enough, then. The best I've seen so far has
>>    been the Wild Copper disk too.
>
>>    What IS state-of-the-art in terms of effects etc nowadays?

[ 3 lines deleted ]
>Unfortunately, European demo coders don't seem to be interested in the
>issue of compatibility very much. All that is really necessary is to use
>CIA timing when needed and to reduce some of the complexity of certain
>areas which depend more upon the longer frame rate of PAL machines. This
[ additional lines deleted ]

If you want to show someone what you can do when stretching your system to its
utmost you simply can't worry about ntsc machines. The simple fact is that
there are no ( or very few indeed ) good american democoders so naturally n.a.
is ignored where demos are concerned.

Regards, Jorgen
--
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se | DUMII: Sentinel of the scales
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (03/31/91)

Quoted from <1991Mar29.021833.2522@cs.umu.se> by dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg):
> If you want to show someone what you can do when stretching your system to its
> utmost you simply can't worry about ntsc machines. The simple fact is that

    Things have been changing in the world of compatibility - it seems
    there are more and more demos that will work with 68030s, and will
    start up and shut down without killing other things on the machine.

    That's nice.