[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Modem Networking

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) (03/29/91)

I have the following situation:  I have a friend that lives not too far away
who just got an Amiga (with a modem).  I am looking for a program that would
let me use his CLI and/or workbench over the modem.  Does such an animal
exists?  I know about SerServer, but that is justa CLI based BBS.  Any help?

  -=+ Steve Krulewitz +=- -=+ Fair Lawn, NJ +=- -=+
                                     UUNET!tronbox!amiglynx!stevek.UUCP +=-

robinson@delux9.cs.umass.edu (Richard Robinson) (04/01/91)

In article <stevek.3744@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) writes:
>I have the following situation:  I have a friend that lives not too far away
>who just got an Amiga (with a modem).  I am looking for a program that would
>let me use his CLI and/or workbench over the modem.  Does such an animal
>exists?  I know about SerServer, but that is justa CLI based BBS.  Any help?

Most Good BBS Programs allow a remote user to drop into an AmigaDOS shell.
For example, the Dreaded BBS (my program) has a shell command. You could
probably do the same thing with a simple program that answers calls and
then does a

newshell window AUX:

I believe a program called RemoteLogin is just what you're looking for,
unfortunately I don't know where to find it. Check the Fred Fish disks.
Just make sure you turn off requesters first, or you are stuck if one
appears. The RemoteLogin package should have a program to do just that.

***

While I'm here, does anyone have docs on the serial.device's
SDCMD_QUERY command? Does it just fill in the IO structure with
the current serial port statistics? Particularly, does it set/clear the
carrier detect bit? Thanks.

-Dread
--
robinson@elux1.cs.umass.edu