[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Very interesting problem

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) (03/31/91)

 HELLO COMMODORE!! ARE YOU THERE??

 I just bought a A3000. I installed a 100 meg drive. Under 2.0 everything
works great, BUT, if I try to boot 1.3 from the hard drive, after loading
workbench, I get a  "NOT A DOS DISK" requestor.

 Under 2.0, all my partitions work fine. OS1.3 does not accept any of them
(there are 3). My 1.3 partition is set up EXACTLY like the one that came
on the 50-meg quantum. If I run 'info', my partitions come up as validating,
and just sit there forever (until reboot) (I run ingo from DF0: at this point).

 The quantum brings up 1.3 just fine. I have tried reformatting under 1.3 also.
I used a sector editor to check if "DOS" was in sector zero (it was).
I can't find any difference between the way the two drives are set up ( I
even used the same size partition for 1.3).

 What could cause @.0 to accept partitions, and then have 1.3 reject them?
BTW,  fastfilesystem IS in the 1.3 L directory. All partitions are FFS, just
like the quatum. What am I missing??

 Puhlease HELP!

In article <1991Mar30.234905.9462@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) writes:

> HELLO COMMODORE!! ARE YOU THERE??

	Yes, though those of us here are doing this on our own time.  (just
a reminder)

> I just bought a A3000. I installed a 100 meg drive. Under 2.0 everything
>works great, BUT, if I try to boot 1.3 from the hard drive, after loading
>workbench, I get a  "NOT A DOS DISK" requestor.

	You need to install (using hdtoolbox) a copy of the 2.0 FFS on the
disk in question.  Make sure it's the 2.0 FFS (20K+), not the 1.3 FFS
(12-13K).  In HDToolbox, go into the partitioning screen, and then Add/Update
Filesystems.  Remember, with auto-mounting partitions it needs to get the FS
off the drive (and the drive you added is probably at a lower address than
the built-in drive, so the FS on the built-in drive hasn't been loaded
when it sees those first partitions).  It will only load one copy of the
FS if you set the version number correctly.  You can use HDToolbox on the
built-in drive to find out what the version of ffs is (look at the add/update
filesystem screen, and use the same number).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar30.234905.9462@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) writes:

>  HELLO COMMODORE!! ARE YOU THERE??
>
>  I just bought a A3000. I installed a 100 meg drive. Under 2.0 everything
> works great, BUT, if I try to boot 1.3 from the hard drive, after loading
> workbench, I get a  "NOT A DOS DISK" requestor.
>
>  Under 2.0, all my partitions work fine. OS1.3 does not accept any of them
> (there are 3). My 1.3 partition is set up EXACTLY like the one that came
> on the 50-meg quantum. If I run 'info', my partitions come up as validating,
> and just sit there forever (until reboot) (I run ingo from DF0: at this point).
>
>  The quantum brings up 1.3 just fine. I have tried reformatting under 1.3 also.
> I used a sector editor to check if "DOS" was in sector zero (it was).
> I can't find any difference between the way the two drives are set up ( I
> even used the same size partition for 1.3).
>
>  What could cause @.0 to accept partitions, and then have 1.3 reject them?
> BTW,  fastfilesystem IS in the 1.3 L directory. All partitions are FFS, just
> like the quatum. What am I missing??

You've brushed the problem.  You have FFS partitions.  In 2.0 FFS is
in ROM and doesn't need to load, in 1.3 it does need to be loaded.
However, autobooting drives do NOT load the Filesystem from the l
directory.  (Makes sense, you cant use the file system to access the
directory to load the filesystem).  In 1.3 the file system is written
in the reserved area of the hard disk as part of the RigidDiskBlocks
stuff (this along with the partition info goes in the first cylinder
or two you (or the setup program) set aside).

So, if you have a 3000, run HDToolBox, go into the Edit FileSystem
screen, select FFS **and write it to disk**.

Now, problem two...If your routinely booting into both 1.3 and 2.0,
you have the file system on disk, but it may also be in ROM.  So under
2.0 you load an extra (uneeded) copy of the file system for every
partition.  What I do is I set only the boot partition to boot, and
set the rest of the partitions to NOT automount.  Then I create a real
mountlist, and use the MOUNT command.  For 2.0, comment out the
FileSystem=l:FastFileSystem line, and the ROM version will be used
instead.  When you get to the point of always using 2.0 then you can
kill your 1.3 boot partition and remove the FFS from the disk.

>  Puhlease HELP!
>
> rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  mgooderum	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu