[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Omega1.50

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (03/28/91)

This is what you get when you use the system?  This kind of experience
will turn off novice Amiga users.

In article <271@atacama.cs.utexas.edu> jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) writes:
>I downloaded this game and installed it on my system, and it is wonderful!
>Omega the way it was never meant to be played, but should have!
>
>The problem is that it crashes rather frequently, usually with an address
>error, but occasionally (once) with a line A exception.
>
>Here's my configuration that I am running it in:
>Amiga 1000, 2.5 megs of ram, 68000 vanilla
>two units of RRamDisk, omega executables and files in fast1: and saved levels
>and such on fast0:.
>
>I've tried stack up to 60000 with no change in behavior.
>
>It seems that it crashes more frequently when it is about to open a window,
>particularly the file requester window and the overhead view window.  This
>is just a perception, however.
>
>Software running in my system:
>AutoCLI
>SRT
>SKsh/ArpShell
>RRamDisk
>
>I've tried running the game from the RRamDisk immediately after booting,
>before SKsh/ArpShell has loaded, and the behavior remains the same.
>
>Other experiences would be appreciated.
>
>--
>Jonathan David Abbey              \"Take your place on the great Mandela" P,P&M
>the university of texas at austin  \  jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu     "Love me, love
>computer science/math?/psychology?  \ (512) 472-2052              my Amiga" -Me

* Appendix A of the Amiga Hardware Manual tells you    *
* everything you need to know to take full advantage   *
* of the power of the Amiga.  And it is only 10 pages! *

jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) (03/28/91)

In article <mykes.0402@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG>
mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>This is what you get when you use the system?  This kind of experience
>will turn off novice Amiga users.
>[My complaining about Omega150 instability deleted]

No, that's what you get when you don't test your software before release.
The fact that Omega150 is supposed to work so well with the system will
be a major plus in my consideration when the author does the Raid thing.

>* Appendix A of the Amiga Hardware Manual tells you    *
>* everything you need to know to take full advantage   *
>* of the power of the Amiga.  And it is only 10 pages! *

Not true at all.. multitasking is one of the best powers of the Amiga.
Being able to be lobotomized into a Genesis comes in at a distant second.

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (03/30/91)

In article <mykes.0402@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

> This is what you get when you use the system?  This kind of experience
> will turn off novice Amiga users.

> > [reposted Omega bug report deleted]

And why is this a problem with using the system?  Bugs in programs are
bugs in programs, whether you use the system or not.  Please don't
knock down straw men.  This is a port of a PD game that's still in
beta, not a finished release of a professional one.

nj

tinny@madnix.UUCP (Philip Varner) (04/02/91)

 	To get Omega1.50 to work correctly, set the stack to 150000.
           also make sure its   1 5 0 0 0 0 !!!
/t

/wq
/qw

/q
/l
/p

oooooooooooooo

--
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!tinny
                                 {decvax|att}!