[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] System call in 2.0

cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) (04/02/91)

I've been having some minor problems with the System() call (dos.lib) in
AmigaDOS 2.0.  It works fine when I specify input/output streams that
are taken from the DOS Input() && Output() calls.

But when I open a filehandle to the current window

ie.

file = Open("*",MODE_OLDFILE)

and pass file to System() to specify input/output, then none of the programs
in the c: directory (eg. dir, list, copy) function correctly.

ie.
	System("copy",tagarray);

brings the system down in a big way.  Is there something different about
the C= c: directory programs that means they can't take a filehandle to
* as input?  I would like to use this for my own shell running in it's own
window, but the C= c: directory programs don't seem to work when passed
a filehandle to a CON: window for i/o either....

Am I doing something wrong?

--
Colin Adams
Computer Science Department                     James Cook University

In article <1991Apr2.051333.28230@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) writes:
>I've been having some minor problems with the System() call (dos.lib) in
>AmigaDOS 2.0.  It works fine when I specify input/output streams that
>are taken from the DOS Input() && Output() calls.
>But when I open a filehandle to the current window

>file = Open("*",MODE_OLDFILE)
>
>and pass file to System() to specify input/output, then none of the programs
>in the c: directory (eg. dir, list, copy) function correctly.

>	System("copy",tagarray);
>
>brings the system down in a big way.

	You need two _different_ filehandles for System().  Open "*" twice,
once as OLDFILE, once as NEWFILE.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)