[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Lattice C++ Help

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com (03/28/91)

Hi Gang,

I just bought a used copy of Lattice C++, performed the installation
procedure verbatim, and tried to compile "hello.cp".  It doesn't work.
I get a system requester asking "Please insert volume DISK: in any drive".
When I cancel it, I get the message "Can't open quad file".

Any clues?

Thanks,
Lee		Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

randy@csseq.tamu.edu (Randy Hutson) (03/28/91)

In article <40629@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
>Hi Gang,
>
>I just bought a used copy of Lattice C++, performed the installation

I saw your recent post expressing an interest in buying of used
copy of Lattice C++.  I thought about offering to sell you mine,
but I decided that just wouldn't be nice.

>procedure verbatim, and tried to compile "hello.cp".  It doesn't work.

Not much works right with Lattice C++.  It's about as useful and
productive a piece of software as "diskdoctor".

>I get a system requester asking "Please insert volume DISK: in any drive".
>When I cancel it, I get the message "Can't open quad file".
>
>Any clues?

Sounds like you're compiling a program in the RAM: drive.  That's just
what happens if you try to compile in the RAM: drive.  Reassigning
QUAD: to something besides RAM: won't fix the problem either.  Try
compiling your programs in a recoverable ram drive (RAD:, VD0:, etc.).
Another benefit of compiling in a recoverable ram drive is that
you _may_ not lose your programs which Lattice C++ guru's your system!

>Thanks,
>Lee		Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

You are welcome.

Randy  	randy@csseq.tamu.edu

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (Kenneth Jamieson) (04/02/91)

In article <13852@helios.TAMU.EDU> randy@csseq.tamu.edu (Randy Hutson) writes:
>In article <40629@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Hi Gang,
>>
>>I just bought a used copy of Lattice C++, performed the installation
>
>I saw your recent post expressing an interest in buying of used
>copy of Lattice C++.  I thought about offering to sell you mine,
>but I decided that just wouldn't be nice.
>
>>procedure verbatim, and tried to compile "hello.cp".  It doesn't work.
>
>Not much works right with Lattice C++.  It's about as useful and
>productive a piece of software as "diskdoctor".

	Yawn. Actually, once you get past most of this little stuff it
is NOT that bad. Most folks have major GURU probs, I have seen none of
them.

	( Now, hopefully my Comeau Computing C++ 2.1 compiler will
	  be here tomm and solve all my problems.)

>>I get a system requester asking "Please insert volume DISK: in any drive".
>>When I cancel it, I get the message "Can't open quad file".
>>
>>Any clues?
>>

>Sounds like you're compiling a program in the RAM: drive.  That's just
>what happens if you try to compile in the RAM: drive.  Reassigning

	The reason is that "RAM DISK:" has two words in it. Just
assign QUAD: to RAD: or VD0: if you have em when you first set it and
you will be fine.

--
========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= "I know how you feel, you don't know if you want to hit me or kiss me - =

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) (04/03/91)

From article <13852@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by randy@csseq.tamu.edu (Randy Hutson):
> Not much works right with Lattice C++.  It's about as useful and
> productive a piece of software as "diskdoctor".
                                      ^^^^^^^^
     Would someone mind mailing me info on what the problem with diskdoctor
     is?  I keep seeing it bashed in side references like this, with
     no explanation.  Maybe it got major improvments in 2.0, but its
     never caused any disasters for me since i've been using it. (twice now)
     I also own quarterback tools which has also worked just fine.
     I bought QBT mainly for the defragmenting.
--
VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil