[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] AsmOne

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (04/05/91)

In article <18ec75fd.ARN0f60@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:

>I know this guy who has written a SUPERB assembler called ASMONE, it's
>probably totally unknow for you (I haven't seen ANY add's for it!).

Well, there HAVE been Ads for it... On the other hand, they have all been
in the german magazine "AmigaDOS" - which just happens to be the Amiga
magazine published by the publisher of AsmOne...

>(It's a pitty that an assembler THIS GOOD is SO UNKNOWN!!!!!!)

I disagree. AsmOne has an interesting concept, and is very usable to
Assembler-only programmers, but I miss a command-line-based interface so
that I could use AsmOne out of Makefiles.

And its copy-protection (at least the one of version 1.0, DMV told me
that they would try to do something about it) is totally silly.
It is not much of a protection (when started first, AsmOne asks for some
names from the manual and then creates a keyfile in your sys:-Dir),
but then again you wouldn't expect a programmers tool to have any copy
protection at all. I always thought copy protection was for games.
And I certainly dislike programs that place keyfiles anywhere else
than into their home directorys when I install them on my harddisk.

The manual itself is quite funny. The first programming example describes
how to store some longword to location 0 in the system and then how to add
some other longword to this location. Both are absolute NO-NOs in Amiga
programming, of course.

There are several places where you can easily note that AsmOne was written
by one of the most talented hardware hackers in Europe.
But of course he tries to point out that his assembler is also usable for
system programmers. And it is - hmm, sort of, as I mentioned above.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz            | holgerl@amiux.uucp