[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] A CDTV question

PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (Ras) (03/20/91)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes...

I'm really considering selling my 500 (and my CD player too) in order to get
a CDTV but I have a few questions that some of you might know:

1) How much will CDTV cost street price and is the price likely to go down
within a few months?
2) How much is that keyboard going to cost?
3) How much will the Grolier encyclopedia cost (more or less)?
3) and most importantly, can I use my external drive as a *DF0* with CDTV
   so that I can use all the programs I have right now?
Rasiel

ps. Ooh! I forgot! Can I use regular joysticks and mouses with CDTV or am I
gonna be stuck with that Nintendo-like joypad thingy?

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (03/21/91)

Better yet, why don't you wait for the add on CD player for the 500?
It might be better than selling all and getting a CDTV.

Rob

\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet:  Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.UUCP /
\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:     76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn /

In article <48298@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (Ras) writes:
>I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes...

Well, there seem to better alternatives. .marketplace? .multimedia?

>1) How much will CDTV cost street price and is the price likely to go down
>within a few months?
>2) How much is that keyboard going to cost?
>3) How much will the Grolier encyclopedia cost (more or less)?

Sorry, no idea of prices or even street prices :-).

>3) and most importantly, can I use my external drive as a *DF0* with CDTV
>   so that I can use all the programs I have right now?

Yes, the connector is there.

>ps. Ooh! I forgot! Can I use regular joysticks and mouses with CDTV or am I
>gonna be stuck with that Nintendo-like joypad thingy?

They tell me, these connectors are also there. (Can't swear because all
our test samples are in Hannover at CeBIT.) There will be a further option
with an IR remote device that sends IR impulses to the CDTV and where you
plug a normal mouse/joystick into (hope I didn't get this one the wrong
way round :-).

aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) (03/21/91)

In article <48298@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (Ras) writes:
>I'm really considering selling my 500 (and my CD player too) in order to get
>a CDTV but I have a few questions that some of you might know:
>
>1) How much will CDTV cost street price and is the price likely to go down
>within a few months?

Hmmm.  I don't know.  I believe that the retail price will be starting at $999.
The developer price is $750.  Not sure what the edu. price will be, but I
believe it will be more than $750 (at least a little).  You could pay the
developer fee to save a few bucks possibly.  I think the developer fee is
appx $75.  If you couldn't find it cheaper than $825, this would work, and
I don't think you would have to pay taxes on it either (as a developer).

>2) How much is that keyboard going to cost?
>3) How much will the Grolier encyclopedia cost (more or less)?

(2) I don't know and (3) I don't know.

>4) and most importantly, can I use my external drive as a *DF0* with CDTV
>   so that I can use all the programs I have right now?

When I saw CDTV last week, the person who showed it to me inserted a workbench
disk, and I could use the controller to control the mouse (although it was
slow).  In answer to your question, I'm am not sure, but it's a definite
maybe.  I had no problem operating workbench.  The only problem I could
forsee is the delay in the signal because of the speed of the infrared
controller.  This would mean that fast action games not work too well (EG
Shadow of the Beast et al).  The controller has a button to switch from
mouse to joystick so that it can act as one or the other (but not both
simulataneously).

CDTV is a very impressive system.  I don't think that the discount
places are going to reduce them too much for a while (getting back to your
original question).  I am a bit curious about how many machines have already
been manufactured.  In any case, I expect them to be *HOT*.  They some graphics
that will totally blow your socks off on the CDTV.  Really really really nice.
I saw a CD+G disc on the machine too.  Very impressive.  Brace yourselves
before you go look at one when they arrive.

>Rasiel
>
>ps. Ooh! I forgot! Can I use regular joysticks and mouses with CDTV or am I
>gonna be stuck with that Nintendo-like joypad thingy?

Nope.  There are two joystick ports, but the are both really wierd looking.
I think that someone may find a market to make a plug that will allow 9-pin
joysticks to be plugged into the CDTV.  Who knows?

Until later... (* poof *)

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (03/24/91)

In article <5221@mindlink.UUCP> Robert_Salesas@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) writes:
>Better yet, why don't you wait for the add on CD player for the 500?
>It might be better than selling all and getting a CDTV.
>
>Rob
>
>--
>\--------------------------------------------------------------------/
>\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet:  Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.UUCP /
>\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:     76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn /
>\--------------------------------------------------------------------/

The key word you used is "wait".  If the wait for the add on CD player for
the 500 is as long as it was for CDTV, then you will wait until 1999 :)

* Assembler Language separates the men from the boys. *

sulee@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Simon Lee) (03/25/91)

In article <mykes.0098@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>In article <5221@mindlink.UUCP> Robert_Salesas@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) writes:
>>Better yet, why don't you wait for the add on CD player for the 500?
>>It might be better than selling all and getting a CDTV.
>>
>>Rob
>>
>>--
>>\--------------------------------------------------------------------/
>>\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet:  Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.UUCP /
>>\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:     76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn /
>>\--------------------------------------------------------------------/
>
>The key word you used is "wait".  If the wait for the add on CD player for
>the 500 is as long as it was for CDTV, then you will wait until 1999 :)
								 ^^^^

>--
>* Assembler Language separates the men from the boys. *

Let's not exaggerate.  Commodore isn't that slow.  From the time
CDTV was announced and til it showed up for sale, I think it's a
vast improvement from back in the early days of the A1000.
Besides, I'm saw a beta (?) of the A500 model in Amazing
Computing, and it looks like they're working hard at putting them
on the shelfs as fast as they can.

The things is, Amiga technology is so awesome, we should give
Commodore a break, and let them perfect their products.  I'm
sure they don't need their customers hanging over their backs,
pressuring them to release garbage.  That's happened to them
too many times already, as I see it.

-Simon

--
* Simon Lee       		*    Love SGI/VGX Systems.		*
* sulee@ucsd.edu		*    Amigas are for fun!		*

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (03/28/91)

   Why must people wait for a CD-ROM drive for a 500? All you need is
a 590, case, power supply and the CD-ROM Filesystem from HyperMedia
Concepts it might not be cheap or pretty but you will have it

                              !!!!!NOW!!!!!

   And to some people that is the most important part......
(Just one person's opinion.)

--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (04/05/91)

	Hey!!!  Why the heck doesn't Commodore install DCTV's inside
	EACH CDTV!  Or at least make it an option....!  That would give
	CDTV's 16 million color capibility.... The cost of DCTV would
	be pretty small on such large quantities of CDTV's  And since
	most CDTV's will be used with a normal color television, the
	DCTV would be right at home!

	OOPS...  maybe the RGB connector isn't in the CDTV.  That would be
	silly.   Can someone tell me if CDTV has an RGB connector?

	Can you imagine some of the games/animations/maps/charts that would
	be possible if the DCTV decoder hardware was BUILT-IN to the CDTV!!

	What do y'all think?

	-Mike-