[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Screen blankers

nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) (04/04/91)

Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
If not, why not?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/04/91)

nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya saw that silly program on Computer chronicials diden't ya.
(I loved the "Only $40" bit)

several reasons ya DON'T want a program like AFTER DARK

1) The thing puts up stuff on ya screen, a screen blanker is supposed
   to BLANK the screen. What's the diff tween a AFTER DARK and just
   showing a ANIM. (Which is what the program does)

2) The amiga MULTITASKS, the LAST thing ya want is a screen blanker
   that will SLOW down the machine...

Example:

* I start downloading with Zmodem a BIG file, (Takes 10 min)
* I decide to take a quick shower.
* The screen blanker pops up, and (Assuming it's an AFTERDARK kinda thing)
  SLOWS down the machine! thus slows down the downloading.

ICK!!!

get a simple screenblanker, like...... ClockDJ, or somthing..

leave the flying tosters to those who are deserving...

:^)

The more i see the Computer Chronicials the More i'm convinded that
ALL of them should be fired. Espicially that "reviewer" guy.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.143420.24871@milton.u.washington.edu> nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

I just put NewPop on ab20.  It is a screen blanker with some bells
and whistles (with full source) that is completely user configurable.
You only get one blank mode (Dancing Qix pattern), but then again it
doesn't take a one MB machine with HD to run (like AFTER DARK :-).

NewPop has (all turn offable) titlebar clock, titlebar CPU monitor
(really task switching monitor, BTW), SCSI I/O monitor.
NewPop has features you don't get anywhere else:
Auto-blanking and defeat-blanking (this relates to mouse position
on the screen).

Copyright info:
NewPop v3.0 by Loren J. Rittle - Copyright ) 1989 - 1991 Based upon:
POPCLI III by John Toebes - Copyright ) 1987 The Software Distillery

But as with PopCLI, you may freely copy the software with a
few simple restrictions, namely that *no* charge is made for its
distribution and the docs come with it.

I can email copies for a short amount of time. But look for it in
/incoming/amiga/UTILS on ab20 if you can.

Loren J. Rittle
l-rittle@uiuc.edu
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

In article <1991Apr4.143420.24871@milton.u.washington.edu> nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

Huh? There are THOUSANDS! Some of them really shutting down the screen
to darkness, others doing some faint grahics that won't burn in on the
screen, won't take much processor power but entertain you and signal
you that Amiga is still alive. And the best side of the coin: All those
blanker programs I know are Public Domain, free!

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.143420.24871@milton.u.washington.edu> nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

  There is a program on PCQ in the Examples/ dir that is called 'moire',
so I assume it is the same type of screen blanker.

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

jseymour@medar.com (James Seymour) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.143420.24871@milton.u.washington.edu> nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:

>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?

I don't know what "AFTER DARK" is, but there are screen blankers available
for the Amiga.  A friend of mine is running something called (I think)
Dmouse.  It blanks the screen, allows you to accelerate the mouse, and even
blanks the pointer when the mouse has not been moved for a programmable (I
think) amount of time.  He loves it.  Also, AmigaDOS 2.0 comes with it's
own blanker program, which you can start manually or make happen on start-
up if you want.  It's also programmable for time-out.  If you make it
start up automatically, you can use a thingie called "commodities" to
disable/enable it at will.

--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.