[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Bugginess of compilers

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (04/08/91)

In article <966@boing.UUCP>, dale@boing (Dale Luck) writes:
>Up until 5.04 there were too many bugs in SAS/C to compiler X source code,
>however after 5.04 became available we finally were able to ram the
>client source code through SAS/C.

>But still Some of these exist in the 5.10a compiler. All we can do as
>companies with products on the market that depend on compilers is to help the
>companies find the bugs and hope they have timely fixes. SAS has proven to
>me that they support their product and that is one of the reasons we recommend
>SAS/C for people doing X11 programming on the Amiga.

I find it silly that after that much bad experience with a broken
compiler you still stick with it, especially concerning that there's
an excellent compiler like gcc available with source.

I don't know how well SAS fixes bugs, but if the compiler as buggy as
you tell and it still takes several revisions to get the bugs fixed,
sounds like the FSF makes a lot better job at it.  Also, with gcc you
have the alternative of fixing the possible bugs yourself; you are not
the mercy of the compiler vendor with the only remedy to just 'hope'
that they will fix the bugs.

Using gcc on the amiga of course might require writing some libraries
which are usually provided by the Amiga compiler vendors; some of this
has been done (freely distributable, also) - but I'd suspect that
doing that wouldn't be as hard as struggling to get perfectly working
code thru a broken compiler.

//Jyrki

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr7.172821.13328@santra.uucp> jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) writes:

>I find it silly that after that much bad experience with a broken
>compiler you still stick with it, especially concerning that there's
>an excellent compiler like gcc available with source.

All compilers on the Amiga at that time were seriously deficient. Thats
why I used the Greenhills C compiler on my Sun to generate my Amiga X11 code.

Also as far as I know, gcc comes with zip for library support.

>I don't know how well SAS fixes bugs, but if the compiler as buggy as
>you tell and it still takes several revisions to get the bugs fixed,
>sounds like the FSF makes a lot better job at it.

>Also, with gcc you
>have the alternative of fixing the possible bugs yourself; you are not
>the mercy of the compiler vendor with the only remedy to just 'hope'
>that they will fix the bugs.

We don't wish to be in the business of fixing compiler bugs, that's why
we pay for commercial software; so we have someone we can call up on the
phone and complain to or send email. Usually there is a way to code
around the problem until the bug is actually fixed. SAS has shown an
immense improvement in support in the last 2 years.

>Using gcc on the amiga of course might require writing some libraries
>which are usually provided by the Amiga compiler vendors; some of this
>has been done (freely distributable, also) - but I'd suspect that
>doing that wouldn't be as hard as struggling to get perfectly working
>code thru a broken compiler.

a) The compilers are not as broken as they used to be.

b) We make use of lot's of functions in the library.  Again we are not  in
the business of writing a C support library when there exists good enough
libraries out there.

We feel that SAS/c for the Amiga is being support properly by SAS.
The Amiga has several unique capabilities that need to be supported
directly by the Compiler. Overlays, chip mem, base register addressing,
inline shared library calls, parameter passage in registers. etc.

We are not aware that gcc is able to compete with SAS/c when it comes
to those Amiga capabilities.

And the final reason we use lattice and not gcc for client development:

Our customers typically do not have gcc as their native development compiler.
Most are graphics programmers want to work on graphics problems not
compiler problems. It is better for them to buy a commercial compiler so
they will get real support. Also the gcc compiler will not run on many of
our customer's Amigas because of the ram required.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/11/91)

>In article <968@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>In article <1991Apr7.172821.13328@santra.uucp> jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) writes:
>>
>>I find it silly that after that much bad experience with a broken
>>compiler you still stick with it, especially concerning that there's
>>an excellent compiler like gcc available with source.
>
>All compilers on the Amiga at that time were seriously deficient. Thats
>why I used the Greenhills C compiler on my Sun to generate my Amiga X11 code.
>
>Also as far as I know, gcc comes with zip for library support.

GCC comes with a decent library. It even has many of the functions that
SAS/C is missing. A lot of it is from the PDC and BSD sources. I
regularly pull functions out of it to link with the SAS code I develop,
because the SAS library is often missing some routines.

>We don't wish to be in the business of fixing compiler bugs, that's why
>we pay for commercial software; so we have someone we can call up on the
>phone and complain to or send email. Usually there is a way to code
>around the problem until the bug is actually fixed. SAS has shown an
>immense improvement in support in the last 2 years.

I don't think that GCC is for everyone, or for every situation, but you
can hardly claim that RMS has not supported GCC well. In fact, I've
contacted FSF with regards to one of thier other products (BASH), and
recieved prompt, courteous, and correct help in a single day.

I've written SAS a letter with my bug list and some questions that I
could not answer after extensive experimentation and the perusal of the
manual. The only reply I ever got was an email letter from an Evil IBM
Mainframe (TM) :-) with the single line "Are you Ben Mesander?" as the
message. The IBM appeared to be named SAS.COM or some such. I'm not sure
the two events are connected (my letter and the mysterious email). This
occurred several months ago.

Now, why do I use SAS? Well, until there's an Amiga linker that can
handle COMMON hunks, GCC's object file generation is a rather cumbersome
process. SAS/C also uses less memory. CPR is great, although deficient
in FP support. I really REALLY REALLY like CPR!!

Whether or not I paid for it has little to do with it. I regularly use
GCC on a Sun at work to generate production code. In fact, when I get
my new Aviion workstation, I understand Data General will be shipping
GCC as the compiler.

>Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
>{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/12/91)

   >In article <968@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:

   >We don't wish to be in the business of fixing compiler bugs, that's why
   >we pay for commercial software; so we have someone we can call up on the
   >phone and complain to or send email. Usually there is a way to code
   >around the problem until the bug is actually fixed. SAS has shown an
   >immense improvement in support in the last 2 years.

Actually, that's not an excuse for GCC. There's a couple of companies
on the SF Peninsula that sell support for GCC. I haven't tried asking
them about the Amiga version, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do
bug fixing.

	<mike
--
It's been a hard day's night,				Mike Meyer
And I been working like a dog.				mwm@pa.dec.com