[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] "Fast" Mode with parallel.device under OS 2.0 ??

hessmann@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (04/09/91)

Hi,

For nearly one year, Valentin Pepelea writes:

|Subject: Re: How fast is the parallel port?
|Date: 21 Jul 90 03:56:45 GMT
|
|In article <31913@cup.portal.com> davids@cup.portal.com (David Kenneth
|Schreiber) writes:
|>
|>Can anyone tell me at what speed the Amiga's parallel port transfers
|>data (in particular, to a DeskJet+ printer)?
|
|The 1.3 parallel device used to transfer about 6500 characters per second.
|In "serial baud" terms, that's 65000 baud. Not bad. I've rewritten the
|parallel device for 2.0, and on a '030 Amiga you can now send out well over
|100000 characters per second in its "fast" mode. Unfortunately this fast mode
|depends on the printer to assert the BUSY signal fast enough. Since there is
|a slight chance that an unusual printer out there does not assert the BUSY
|signal before the Amiga is ready to send the next character, the "slow" mode
|of the parallel device is set as default.

Fine, I *need* this "fast-mode".

How can I select this mode??
(via parallel.device or printer.device)

[...]

  Thanks,
    Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.115525.2939@forwiss.uni-passau.de> hessmann@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:
>Hi,
>
>For nearly one year, Valentin Pepelea writes:
>
>|parallel device for 2.0, and on a '030 Amiga you can now send out well over
>|100000 characters per second in its "fast" mode. Unfortunately this fast mode
>|depends on the printer to assert the BUSY signal fast enough. Since there is
>Fine, I *need* this "fast-mode".
>
>How can I select this mode??
>(via parallel.device or printer.device)
>
>  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

A quick code examination suggests setting the PARB_FASTMODE bit in io_ParFlags
when you open parallel.device ... see 2.0 devices/parallel.h

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.115525.2939@forwiss.uni-passau.de>
hessmann@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:

>For nearly one year, Valentin Pepelea writes:
>
>|The 1.3 parallel device used to transfer about 6500 characters per second.
>|In "serial baud" terms, that's 65000 baud. Not bad. I've rewritten the
>|parallel device for 2.0, and on a '030 Amiga you can now send out well over

The updated parallel device, version 36.xx, will now work under 1.3 also.
But make sure you also use the printer device version 35.573 or superior.
The new parallel device will make some awfull printer device bugs painfully
evident.

>|100000 characters per second in its "fast" mode. Unfortunately this fast mode
>|depends on the printer to assert the BUSY signal fast enough. Since there is
>|a slight chance that an unusual printer out there does not assert the BUSY
>|signal before the Amiga is ready to send the next character, the "slow" mode
>|of the parallel device is set as default.
>
>Fine, I *need* this "fast-mode".
>
>How can I select this mode??

Simply write OpenDevice("parallel.device",0L,par_request,PARF_FASTMODE);
Compile, link, attach seat belt and run. Incredible magic, eh?

You now owe the Oracle an air bag.

>(via parallel.device or printer.device)

And make sure you use the updated printer.device, dammit. Both new device
drivers are on Workbench V1.3.3.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

In article <2337@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.115525.2939@forwiss.uni-passau.de>
>hessmann@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:
>>
>The updated parallel device, version 36.xx, will now work under 1.3 also.
>But make sure you also use the printer device version 35.573 or superior.
>The new parallel device will make some awfull printer device bugs painfully
>evident.
>
>>|100000 characters per second in its "fast" mode. Unfortunately this fast mode
>>|depends on the printer to assert the BUSY signal fast enough. Since there is
>>|a slight chance that an unusual printer out there does not assert the BUSY
>>|signal before the Amiga is ready to send the next character, the "slow" mode
>>|of the parallel device is set as default.
>>
>>How can I select this mode??
>
>Simply write OpenDevice("parallel.device",0L,par_request,PARF_FASTMODE);
>Compile, link, attach seat belt and run. Incredible magic, eh?

But is there also a chance with existing software that I don't have
sources for?

Is this mode default in 2.0?

How about making it an option choosable in Printer preferences?

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (04/12/91)

In article <2337@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.115525.2939@forwiss.uni-passau.de>
>hessmann@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:

[...]
>>Fine, I *need* this "fast-mode".
>>
>>How can I select this mode??
>
>Simply write OpenDevice("parallel.device",0L,par_request,PARF_FASTMODE);
>Compile, link, attach seat belt and run. Incredible magic, eh?

(ey, super ey :-) )

>You now owe the Oracle an air bag.
>
>>(via parallel.device or printer.device)
>
>And make sure you use the updated printer.device, dammit. Both new device
>drivers are on Workbench V1.3.3.

Oh, can I use the 'fast'-mode also with V1.3.3?

But I want only open the 'printer.device'.
How can I set the 'parallel.device' in fast mode via the 'printer.device'?
Or can I open the 'parallel.device' set the flag, open the
'printer.device' and use the 'fast' mode?

>Valentin

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (04/12/91)

In article <2337@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

>And make sure you use the updated printer.device, dammit. Both new device
>drivers are on Workbench V1.3.3.

So where can I get 1.3.3?  I got 1.3.2 from Compuserve, but 1.3.3 seems to
be a mystery to most people I've talked to.  Even those (VERY few) who know
it exists don't know what's different about it!

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.123747.28400@forwiss.uni-passau.de>
hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:

>Oh, can I use the 'fast'-mode also with V1.3.3?

Yes, but remember not to use the old printer.device with the new
parallel.device, or else!

>But I want only open the 'printer.device'.
>How can I set the 'parallel.device' in fast mode via the 'printer.device'?
>Or can I open the 'parallel.device' set the flag, open the
>'printer.device' and use the 'fast' mode?

Something like that. What you really need to do is open the parallel device,
and issue a PDCMD_SETPARAMS command, telling it that the fast mode is to
be the default in the future. Then unless whoever opens the device specifies
otherwise, the default mode will me the fast mode until the device driver
gets flushed out of memory.

Valentin
--

In article <1103@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>Is this mode default in 2.0?

No, for the reasons I mentioned before. But thanks to a new cia.resource,
the parallel device is 3 times faster under 2.0 anyway. That means that
the fast mode is only 3-7 faster under 2.0, rather than 10-20 times.

>How about making it an option choosable in Printer preferences?

I cheered such a proposal when I was at the employ of Commodore. Since I
don't work there anymore, you can't blame me for [the lack of] it. You on the
other hand...  ;-)

Valentin
--

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/13/91)

In article <2372@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>and issue a PDCMD_SETPARAMS command, telling it that the fast mode is to
>be the default in the future. Then unless whoever opens the device specifies
>otherwise, the default mode will me the fast mode until the device driver
>gets flushed out of memory.

Seems like this should be taken care of by the parallel-prefs program.
Oh wait, there is no prefs for the parallel prefs program, woops! ;-)

Maybe wb2.1 or Wb1.3.4?

I guess I'll check the next 20 fish disks.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale