[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] gcc hunger

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/13/91)

>In article <13APR91.11055929@uc780.umd.edu> cs450a03@uc780.umd.edu writes:
>I've seen talk on this subject, but no numbers:
>
>How much memory does it take to compile gcc, say with SAS/C?

Uh, *bad* idea. That would take a *lot* of work.

>And how much to compile gcc with gcc?

3 megs.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

cs450a03@uc780.umd.edu (04/13/91)

I've seen talk on this subject, but no numbers:

How much memory does it take to compile gcc, say with SAS/C?
And how much to compile gcc with gcc?

Roundish numbers are fine (2M, 4M, 8M, ...)

Thanks,

Raul Rockwell

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/14/91)

>In article <14APR91.22254747@uc780.umd.edu> cs450a03@uc780.umd.edu writes:
>Richard Harrison writes:
>>You can't compile GCC with SAS/C mainly due to limitations in the SAS
>>pre-processor.  Using GCC to compile G++ I need 4MB (ie.  3MB free).
>
>Maybe this is a stupid question, but:
>(1) can't gnu-cpp be compiled?  If not, isn't there a gnu version of
>cpp for use in porting?  (Lattice wasn't the first to introduce a weak
>preprocessor, I think.)

One thing you can do is compile on a Sun 3 system (or with any GCC host
machine with a Sun 3 GCC cross-compiler) and use SobjA to convert the
Sun .o files to Amiga .o files. Link and go!

You might also look at the DECUS cpp to see if it can compile under
SAS/C and if it can handle the GCC source.

>(2) can't you just preprocess before handing off to lc?  (with
>includes turned off, hopefully.)

Maybe. GCC code is hairy, I'm not sure I'd trust lc. I know that Sun's
cc doesn't work quite right on it. Remember that GCC requires a special
library of routines to be written (GNULIB) before it can be used.

I'd think the point is moot! After all, now you can use GCC to compile
whatever changes you like to GCC.

>Anyways, I guess that I can accept things as they are... 4MB doesn't
>seem that bad [I've heard numbers like 32MB memory required on other
>systems -- rather scary.]

I've not seen a system that required this much memory to compile GCC.

--

cs450a03@uc780.umd.edu (04/15/91)

Richard Harrison writes:
>You can't compile GCC with SAS/C mainly due to limitations in the SAS
>pre-processor.  Using GCC to compile G++ I need 4MB (ie.  3MB free).

Maybe this is a stupid question, but:
(1) can't gnu-cpp be compiled?  If not, isn't there a gnu version of
cpp for use in porting?  (Lattice wasn't the first to introduce a weak
preprocessor, I think.)

(2) can't you just preprocess before handing off to lc?  (with
includes turned off, hopefully.)

Anyways, I guess that I can accept things as they are... 4MB doesn't
seem that bad [I've heard numbers like 32MB memory required on other
systems -- rather scary.]

Raul Rockwell

P.S. I got your posting twice at this site.

Raul Rockwell writes:
>(2) can't you just preprocess before handing off to lc?  (with
>includes turned off, hopefully.)
                 ^^^
Raul, you've been staring at the screen too long.  Next thing you
know, you'll be talking to yourself--in public, no less.

Raul Rockwell

tricky@cix.compulink.co.uk (Richard Harrison) (04/15/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer
Subject: Re: gcc hunger

>How much memory does it take to compile gcc, say with SAS/C?
>And how much to compile gcc with gcc?

You can't compile GCC with SAS/C mainly due to limitations in the SAS
pre-processor.  Using GCC to compile G++ I need 4MB (ie.  3MB free).

/---------------------+---------------------------------------------------\
|     .           .   | Richard J. Harrison, tricky@cix.compulink.co.ukc  |
|   .__  (__  __)  .  |  '.co.ukc', the domain where international mail   |
|     /     ~~______  |             costs $0.06/kb                        |
|  __/    ^   \    /  +---------------------------------------------------+
| / /\ . /|  _ \  /   | Sometimes the above address fails, if so use      |
| \/  \|/ |_/\\_\/__/ | tricky%cix.compulink.co.uk@specialix.co.uk        |
\---------------------+---------------------------------------------------/

wild@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Markus Wild) (04/17/91)

In article <13APR91.11055929@uc780.umd.edu> cs450a03@uc780.umd.edu writes:
>How much memory does it take to compile gcc, say with SAS/C?
>And how much to compile gcc with gcc?

Don't know with SAS (don't have it;-)), but I could get it compiled with
my 4.5M, although sometimes I had to turn off some memory-consumers
(no setcpu fastrom, rez, etc.). This has been with optimization turned on, so
you might get it thru with less memory, if you turn off optimization.

-Markus

--
Markus M. Wild    - mwild@iiic.ethz.ch  |  wild@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch