[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] ActivateGadget in Requesters

jwb@cis.ksu.edu (Jeff W. Brogden) (04/17/91)

I am trying to get a single string gadget to auto select in a requester when
the requester first comes up.  I call Request(Window), and then
do a ActivateGadget(&Gadget, Window, Requester), but every time,
ActivateGadget returns a FALSE.

Sorry for the lack of detail, if more is needed I can provide it, the stuff
is at home, and I forgot to bring it.

Please email me if you can help.

Jeff Brogden					| Kansas State University
Internet: jwb@cis.ksu.edu          		| Manhattan, KS.  66506
BITNET: jwb@ksuvm                           	| Office phone: (913)532-6350
UUCP: {rutgers,texbell,atanasoff}!ksuvax1!jwb	| Home phone: (913)776-5798

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.151553.29314@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jwb@cis.ksu.edu (Jeff W. Brogden) writes:

>I am trying to get a single string gadget to auto select in a requester when
>the requester first comes up.  I call Request(Window), and then
>do a ActivateGadget(&Gadget, Window, Requester), but every time,
>ActivateGadget returns a FALSE.

Bringing up requesters is asynchronous.  You must wait for the REQSET
IDCMP message before calling ActivateGadget().  Likewise, if you
open a window and want a gadget in it active right away, you
must wait for the ACTIVEWINDOW IDCMP message before calling ActivateGadget().

>Jeff Brogden					| Kansas State University
>Internet: jwb@cis.ksu.edu          		| Manhattan, KS.  66506

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) (04/19/91)

>In article <1991Apr17.151553.29314@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jwb@cis.ksu.edu (Jeff
>W. Brogden) writes:
>>
>>I am trying to get a single string gadget to auto select in a requester when
>>the requester first comes up.  I call Request(Window), and then
>>do a ActivateGadget(&Gadget, Window, Requester), but every time,
>>ActivateGadget returns a FALSE.

Why not use req.library? It was created to overcome the deficiencies in the
Amiga requester system. GetString will allow you to get a string from the
user.

If you need more info on req.library, e-mail me.

| Colin_Fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca | "...heavy!"                      |
| Informal home of SIGGRAPH Vancouver,|  there a problem with gravity in |
| and proud of it!                    |  the future?" -- Doc             |