[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Comeau's C++

saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) (04/17/91)

One of the things (I've heard) is necessary for a good C++ compiler
is a large class library.  Does anyone have a feel for the class
libraries that come with the Comeau's C++?

Also ... being an Amiga 3000 owner, and slightly paranoid about
compatibility, will the C++ front-end from Comeau work okay on my
3000? I sure hope so.

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (Kenneth Jamieson) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.215738.28016@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>One of the things (I've heard) is necessary for a good C++ compiler
>is a large class library.  Does anyone have a feel for the class
>libraries that come with the Comeau's C++?

	Not any more than a large library "needed" for C. The library
is good to save you re-working, but is not important for the language.
The library with CC++ (tired of typing Comeau) is on par with C
libraries...... standard data types, standard file I/O .. standard
math etc. Nothing extra. JUST LIKE C.

	Being one of the folks at Bell Labs that writes those
libraries, I can tell you that they are nice but C++ is more than
worth the change even if you had to re-write it ALL!.

	Also, look in comp.lang.c++ .. there are 5 MAJOR (read > 500
functions/objects) PUBLIC DOMAIN clases that can be compiled. (NIH, a
few others).

>Also ... being an Amiga 3000 owner, and slightly paranoid about
>compatibility, will the C++ front-end from Comeau work okay on my
>3000? I sure hope so.

	Should. Both in running the compiler and producing code. The
front end is non-graphical and should run just fine... and it relys on
the underying C compiler to generate the final binary... if you
generate one for 2.0 .. that's what you will get.

--
========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= "I know how you feel, you don't know if you want to hit me or kiss me - =

comeau@ditka.Chicago.COM (Greg Comeau) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.215738.28016@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>One of the things (I've heard) is necessary for a good C++ compiler
>is a large class library.  Does anyone have a feel for the class
>libraries that come with the Comeau's C++?

It's not so much a necessity, than a desire.

Comeau C++ currently comes with compiler helper functions and the
iostream library.  We felt it more responsible to supply a working
compiler instead of a broken compiler and a broken library.

Libraries are on their way.  Ditto goes for tools.

>Also ... being an Amiga 3000 owner, and slightly paranoid about
>compatibility, will the C++ front-end from Comeau work okay on my
>3000? I sure hope so.

Yes.  No problem there.  It also works on 1.3 and 2.0 with no change.

- Greg
--
	 Comeau Computing, 91-34 120th Street, Richmond Hill, NY, 11418
                            Producers of Comeau C++